Census Data for Bryce Canyon City ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Bryce Canyon City a population of 222 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Bryce Canyon City a population of 198 people.
The town of Bryce Canyon City is located in Garfield County. The 2010 Census gave Garfield County; a population of 5,172 people. This means that Bryce Canyon City had 3.83% of the county's total population, making it Garfield's 6th most populous community.
At the same time, Utah had a population of 2,763,885 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Bryce Canyon City has a total area of 3.46 square miles [9 km²].
Garfield County has a land area of 5,175 square miles [13,403.5 km²]. At 3.46 square miles [9 km²], Bryce Canyon City has 0.07% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Bryce Canyon City, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Bryce Canyon City reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Bryce Canyon City might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 37° 40' 54" (or 37.68°)
- Lon: -112° 9' 41" (or -112.16°)
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Bryce Canyon City had 118 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 198 people, this averages 1.68 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Bryce Canyon City had a land area of 3.46 square miles [9 km²]. This translates to 34.11 Housing Units per square mile [13.17 housing units/km²].
Garfield County ...
Bryce Canyon City is located in Garfield County<4>.
The county had a population of 5,172 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 198 people, Bryce Canyon City represented 3.83% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Bryce Canyon City has a population density of 57.2 people per square mile [22.1 people/km²], Garfield County averages 1 people per square mile [0.39 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Garfield County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Bryce Canyon City, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Bryce Canyon City. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Bryce Canyon City or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Bryce Canyon City, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Bryce Canyon City.
Miscellaneous Information for Bryce Canyon City ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Garfield County or the town of Bryce Canyon City:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Bryce Canyon City:
- GNIS ID for Bryce Canyon City: 2371449
- GNIS ID for Garfield County: 1448023
- GNIS ID for State of Utah: 1455989
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Bryce Canyon City is located in Census Region #4 (the West Region) and Division #8 (the Mountain Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a town like Bryce Canyon City, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Bryce Canyon City. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Bryce Canyon City:84764<6>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Bryce Canyon City.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Utah
About Garfield County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bryce Canyon City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Garfield, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 24 degrees and a distance of 3,216 feet.|
|<6>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Bryce Canyon City or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|