Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Black Rock Station, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Black Rock Station and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Black Rock Station:
- 39.878111, -113.271554
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Black Rock Station
- Bird Watching ...
- We enjoy finding new spots for bird watching and we use the eBird website for local sighting reports and to help identify hotspots.
- The eBird website is organized on a county-by-county basis. We have selected Juab County as the starting point when you click on the link below:
- eBird sighting report for Juab County
- Since Black Rock Station is near Tooele County, we have provided a link to its eBird sighting report:
- eBird sighting report for Tooele County
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Black Rock Station ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Death Canyon [Tooele County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Death Canyon
- Death Canyon [Tooele County] was located 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the east of Black Rock Station
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Death Canyon. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Fish Springs [Juab County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fish Springs
- Fish Springs [Juab County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<1> to the west of Black Rock Station
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Fish Springs. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Joy [Juab County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Joy
- Joy [Juab County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southeast of Black Rock Station
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Joy have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
How Far From Black Rock Station to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Black Rock Station to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers and using the location of where the historic<4> community of Black Rock Station once stood, the straight-line distance beginning in Black Rock Station and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Nephi, which is the Seat of Juab County and lies 77 miles [123.9 km]<1> to the east. If you could drive a straight line from Black Rock Station to Nephi, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than two hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 5 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of three days.
- Salt Lake City, which is the State Capital of Utah, lies 94 miles [151.3 km] to the northeast (NE). Driving would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,921 miles [3,091.5 km] to the east (E). Driving would take three full days, a buggy would take 75 days and walking would take 110 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,086 miles [11,403.8 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,855 miles [12,641.4 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,839 miles [9,397 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Utah
About Juab County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Juab County: www.co.juab.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Black Rock Station) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Black Rock Station. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Black Rock Station
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Black Rock Station. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.8781, Longitude: -113.2716
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Black Rock Station, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Black Rock Station to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 332.929 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 332.599 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 322.63 degrees.||