Welcome to Atkinville ...
So far, we have found very little information about Atkinville. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Atkinville to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Atkinville, please Contact Us.
Atkinville would have been located within present day Washington County<2>.
Atkinville was established in 1877.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Atkinville is 2,490 feet [759 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Atkinville is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Atkinville was located is in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel east from Atkinville (for example, toward Colorado City (AZ)), you will leave Mountain Time and cross into the Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST). In addition, you will be moving from an area that observes daylight saving time to one that does not.
Atkinville would have been located in the (435) area code.
Communities near Atkinville ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Atkinville.
- Saint George [Washington County]
- Washington [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Washington
- Washington [Washington County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the northeast of Atkinville
- Estimated population in 2018: 27,686 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Washington
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Washington<5>
- Hurricane [Washington County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hurricane have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hurricane
- Hurricane [Washington County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Atkinville
- Estimated population in 2018: 18,205 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hurricane
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hurricane<5>
- Ivins [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ivins
- Ivins [Washington County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the north of Atkinville
- Estimated population in 2018: 8,913 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ivins
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ivins<5>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Santa Clara [Washington County]
- Fort Clara [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Clara
- Fort Clara [Washington County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the north of Atkinville
- Fort Pearce [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fort Pearce
- Fort Pearce [Washington County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the east of Atkinville
- Shivwits [Washington County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Shivwits
- Shivwits [Washington County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Atkinville
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Shivwits
- Harrisburg [Washington County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Harrisburg
- Harrisburg [Washington County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the northeast of Atkinville
- Beaver Dam [Mohave County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Atkinville. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Atkinville.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Atkinville. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Atkinville.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Atkinville. See our Newspapers Page for Atkinville.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Utah
About Washington County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Washington County: www.washco.state.ut.us/
The official website for State of Utah: https://www.utah.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Atkinville, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Utah's counties, including Washington, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Atkinville - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Atkinville) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Atkinville. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Atkinville
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Atkinville. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 37.0297, Longitude: -113.6276
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|