Welcome to Woody ...
So far, we have found very little information about Woody. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Woody to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Woody, please Contact Us.
Woody was located in Big Bend Country (West Texas).
Woody would have been located within present day Loving County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of Woody, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
Woody was founded in 1910.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Woody: Named after Fannin Woodyard Johnson, a local businessman.
Time Zone: The area where Woody was located is in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Communities Also Named Woody ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 5 communities that are also named Woody - they are located in California, Illinois, Manitoba, Nebraska and Tennessee.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Woody.
Communities near Woody ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Woody.
- Wink [Winkler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wink
- Wink [Winkler County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the east of Woody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,014 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wink
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wink<5>
- Mentone [Loving County]
- Arno [Reeves County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Arno
- Arno [Reeves County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Woody
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Arno have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Arno
- Barstow [Ward County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Cheyenne [Winkler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cheyenne
- Cheyenne [Winkler County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the east of Woody
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cheyenne
- Kermit [Winkler County]
- Orla [Reeves County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Orla
- Orla [Reeves County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the west of Woody
- Pecos [Reeves County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pecos
- Pecos [Reeves County] lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the south of Woody
- Population from the 2020 Census: 10,488 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pecos have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pecos
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Pecos<5>
- Lindsay [Reeves County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lindsay
- Lindsay [Reeves County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<4> to the south of Woody
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lindsay have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lindsay
- Pyote [Ward County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Woody. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Woody.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Woody. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Woody.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Woody. See our Newspapers Page for Woody.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Texas
About Loving County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Texas: https://texas.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Woody, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Texas' counties, including Loving, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Woody) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Woody. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WoodyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Woody. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.7527, Longitude: -103.4932 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|