Welcome to Whitney ...
The town of Whitney is located in the Texas Panhandle.
Whitney is located in Briscoe County<1>.
The location of Whitney has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
The community of Whitney is 3,260 feet [994 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the elevation of Whitney is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Whitney lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Whitney is within the (806) area code.
Communities Also Named Whitney ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are two Texas communities named Whitney: This one is located in Briscoe County and the other is located in Hill County.
Beyond Texas, there are 25 communities that are also named Whitney - they are located in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho (2), Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Brunswick, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Whitney.
Communities near Whitney ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Whitney.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lockney
- Lockney lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the south of Whitney.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,619 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lockney have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lockney
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Lockney<5>
- South Plains
- Sterley ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sterley
- Sterley was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the south of Whitney.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sterley have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Claytonville
- Claytonville lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the west of Whitney.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Claytonville
- Gray Mule ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gray Mule
- Gray Mule was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<4> to the east of Whitney.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gray Mule have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Cedar Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cedar Hill
- Cedar Hill lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<4> to the southeast of Whitney.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cedar Hill have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cedar Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Aiken
- Aiken lies 18 miles [29 km]<4> to the southwest of Whitney.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Aiken have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Aiken
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Aiken<5>
- Della Plain ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Della Plain
- Della Plain was located 19 miles [30.6 km]<4> to the south of Whitney.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Della Plain. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Whitney. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Whitney.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Whitney. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Whitney.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Whitney. See our Newspapers Page for Whitney.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Whitney ...
Looking for more information about Whitney? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Whitney, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Whitney.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Whitney. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Texas: https://texas.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Texas' counties, including Briscoe, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Whitney - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Whitney) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Whitney. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WhitneyOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Whitney. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.3503, Longitude: -101.3304 In this case, the coordinates for Whitney have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|