Welcome to Dawn ...
Dawn is located in the Texas Panhandle.
Dawn is located in Deaf Smith County<1>.
The location of Dawn has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
Dawn is 3,800 feet [1,158 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Dawn is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Dawn lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Note: If you travel west from Dawn, you will leave Central Time and cross into the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT).
Dawn is located in the (806) area code.
The ZIP code for Dawn: 79025<4>
Communities Also Named Dawn ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 6 communities that are also named Dawn - they are located in Missouri, Ohio, Ontario (2), Tennessee and Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Dawn.
Communities near Dawn ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Dawn.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bushland
- Bushland lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the north of Dawn.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bushland have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bushland
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Bushland<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wildorado
- Wildorado lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<5> to the north of Dawn.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wildorado have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wildorado
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wildorado<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Summerfield
- Summerfield lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southwest of Dawn.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Summerfield have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Summerfield
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Summerfield<6>
- La Plata ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for La Plata
- La Plata was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the west of Dawn.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for La Plata. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Timbercreek Canyon
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Timbercreek Canyon
- Timbercreek Canyon lies 23 miles [37 km]<5> to the northeast of Dawn.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 479 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Timbercreek Canyon have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Timbercreek Canyon
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Palisades
- Palisades lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<5> to the northeast of Dawn.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 367 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Palisades have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Palisades
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Dawn. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Dawn.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Dawn. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Dawn.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Dawn. See our Newspapers Page for Dawn.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Dawn ...
Looking for more information about Dawn? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Dawn, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Dawn.
Adding Dawn to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Dawn in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
From our notes, the earliest published mention that we've found for Dawn was the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Dawn.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Dawn. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Texas: https://texas.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Texas' counties, including Deaf Smith, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Dawn - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Dawn). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Dawn or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Dawn) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Dawn. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from DawnOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Dawn. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.9103, Longitude: -102.1999 In this case, the coordinates for Dawn have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|