Welcome to Alto ...
The town of Alto is located in the Piney Woods (East Texas).
Alto is located in Cherokee County<1>.
The location of Alto has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<2>
From the Census Estimates for 2019, Alto has a population of 1,233 people<3> (see below for details).
We don't have a date for the establishment of Alto.
The community of Alto is 430 feet [131 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Alto lies in the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT) and observes daylight saving time
Alto is within the boundaries of the (936) area code.
The ZIP code for Alto: 75925<5>
Population Details ...
Taken from the 2019 Census Estimates, Alto had an population of 1,233 people. This is an increase of 0.65% since the 2010 Census (or an increase of 3.61% since the 2000 Census).
At the time of the 2010 Census, Alto had a population of 1,225 people. This makes Alto the county's 3rd most populous community.
With a 2010 count of 1,225 people, the population of Alto increased 2.94% from the 2000 Census (with a count of 1,190 people).
More information can be found on the Census Page for Alto.
Communities Also Named Alto ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 18 communities that are also named Alto - they are located in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota (2), Tennessee, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alto.
Communities near Alto ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Alto.
- Rusk [Cherokee County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rusk
- Rusk [Cherokee County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<6> to the northwest of Alto
- Population from the 2020 Census: 5,664 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rusk
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Rusk<7>
- Wells [Cherokee County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wells
- Wells [Cherokee County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<6> to the southeast of Alto
- Population from the 2020 Census: 781 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wells have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wells
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Wells<7>
- Cushing [Nacogdoches County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cushing
- Cushing [Nacogdoches County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the northeast of Alto
- Population from the 2020 Census: 614 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cushing have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cushing
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cushing<7>
- Gallatin [Cherokee County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gallatin
- Gallatin [Cherokee County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the north of Alto
- Population from the 2020 Census: 435 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gallatin have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gallatin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Gallatin<7>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Reklaw [Cherokee County]
- Weeping Mary [Cherokee County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Weeping Mary
- Weeping Mary [Cherokee County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<6> to the southwest of Alto
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Weeping Mary
- Bluff City [Houston County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bluff City
- Bluff City [Houston County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the southwest of Alto
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bluff City have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- New Birmingham [Cherokee County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Birmingham
- New Birmingham [Cherokee County] was located 8 miles [12.9 km]<6> to the north of Alto
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for New Birmingham. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Forest [Cherokee County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Forest
- Forest [Cherokee County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<6> to the south of Alto
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forest
- Douglass [Nacogdoches County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Alto. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Alto.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Alto. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Alto.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Alto. See our Newspapers Page for Alto.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Alto ...
Looking for more information about Alto? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Alto, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Alto.
Adding Alto to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Alto in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Alto was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Alto on a map titled Rand McNally Map of Texas (1911).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Alto on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Texas
About Cherokee County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Alto. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Texas: https://texas.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Texas' counties, including Cherokee, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Alto.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Alto - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a town (such as Alto). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Alto or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alto) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Alto. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AltoOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alto. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 31.6510, Longitude: -95.0710 In this case, the coordinates for Alto have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|