Curious and Interesting Names Near Snipe Lake ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flaxcombe
- Flaxcombe lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<1> to the northwest of Snipe Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flaxcombe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Flaxcombe
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Plato
- Plato lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the east of Snipe Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Plato came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plato
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Smiley
- Smiley lies 40 miles [64.4 km]<1> to the northwest of Snipe Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Smiley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Wartime
- Wartime lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the east of Snipe Lake
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Wartime came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wartime
- White Bear
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for White Bear
- White Bear lies 35 miles [56.3 km]<1> to the southeast of Snipe Lake
- Jump to Google Maps centered on White Bear
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Snipe Lake. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Murray Albert 'Bert' Olmstead (Professional hockey)
How Far From Snipe Lake to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Snipe Lake to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Snipe Lake and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 192 miles [309 km]<1> to the east southeast (ESE). If you could drive a straight line from Snipe Lake to Regina, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take a little over three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 11 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 8 days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,560 miles [2,510.6 km] to the east (E). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 61 days and walking would take 89 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,300 miles [10,138.9 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,069 miles [11,376.5 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,102 miles [8,210.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community located in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Snipe Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Snipe Lake) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Snipe Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Snipe LakeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Snipe Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.1655, Longitude: -108.8878 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Snipe Lake to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 330.112 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 330.334 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.573 degrees.||