Curious and Interesting Names Near Mortlach ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Archive
- Archive lies 23 miles [37 km]<1> to the southeast of Mortlach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Archive came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Archive
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Buttress
- Buttress lies 25 miles [40.2 km]<1> to the southeast of Mortlach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Buttress came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Buttress
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eyebrow
- Eyebrow lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<1> to the north of Mortlach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Eyebrow
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Moose Jaw
- Old Wives - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Old Wives
- Old Wives was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<1> to the south of Mortlach
- Sand Point Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sand Point Beach
- Sand Point Beach lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northeast of Mortlach
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sand Point Beach
- Sun Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sun Valley
- Sun Valley lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the northeast of Mortlach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sun Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sun Valley
- Thunder Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Thunder Creek
- Thunder Creek lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the northwest of Mortlach
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Thunder Creek came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thunder Creek
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Mortlach. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Glen Sonmore (Professional hockey)
- Professional hockey. He was born in Moose Jaw (Saskatchewan) on Monday April 22, 1929 and died in Paris (Ontario) on Sunday December 14, 2014 at the age of 85. He is buried at Lakewood Cemetery (Hennepin County, Minnesota).
- Moose Jaw is located 23 miles [37 km] to the east of Mortlach.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Glen Sonmore<4>
How Far From Mortlach to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Mortlach to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Mortlach and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Regina, which is the Provincial Capital of Saskatchewan, lies 63 miles [101.4 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could walk a straight line from Mortlach to Regina, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of three days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take about three full days.
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 1,436 miles [2,311 km] to the east (E). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take most of three days, a buggy would take 56 days and walking would take 82 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,279 miles [10,105.1 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,047 miles [11,341 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,055 miles [8,135.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Saskatchewan
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Mortlach. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Saskatchewan: www.saskatchewan.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Mortlach) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Mortlach. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MortlachOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Mortlach. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.4544, Longitude: -106.0667 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Mortlach to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 327.889 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 327.737 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 316.917 degrees.||