Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Spring Creek Colony, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Spring Creek Colony and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Spring Creek Colony:
- 45.909140, -98.878716
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Spring Creek Colony
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Spring Creek Colony ...
We have found one communities that share the name Spring Creek Colony.
Within South Dakota, the name Spring Creek Colony is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, there is another community also named Spring Creek Colony in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Fergus County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Montana community of Spring Creek Colony [Fergus County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Spring Creek Colony ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Berlin
- Berlin lies 37 miles [59.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Spring Creek Colony.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 35 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Berlin have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Berlin
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Berlin<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ellendale
- Ellendale lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the east of Spring Creek Colony.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,179 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ellendale have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ellendale
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Ellendale<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillsview
- Hillsview lies 36 miles [57.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Spring Creek Colony.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 3 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hillsview have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillsview
- Keystone ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Keystone
- Keystone was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the northeast of Spring Creek Colony.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Keystone have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Long Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Long Lake
- Long Lake lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Spring Creek Colony.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 31 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Long Lake have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Long Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silverleaf
- Silverleaf lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the east of Spring Creek Colony.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Silverleaf have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silverleaf
How Far From Spring Creek Colony to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Spring Creek Colony to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Spring Creek Colony and extending to:
- Leola, which is the Seat of McPherson County, lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the south southwest. If you could walk a straight line from Spring Creek Colony to Leola, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take 6 hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take four to five hours.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 127 miles [204.4 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than three hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 8 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,209 miles [1,945.7 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 48 days and walking would take 69 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,347 miles [10,214.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,109 miles [11,440.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,045 miles [8,119.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Spring Creek Colony. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Spring Creek Colony could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Spring Creek Colony) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Spring Creek Colony. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.9091, Longitude: -98.8787 In this case, the coordinates for Spring Creek Colony have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Spring Creek Colony to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.362 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 320.92 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 313.554 degrees.||