Around Silver City ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Rapid City. It is located about 16 miles [25 km] to the east of Silver City. Rapid City has a population of 78,900 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Spearfish.
It is located about 31 miles [ km] to the northwest of Silver City and has a population of 11,900 people.
The following is a sample of nearby communities: Keep in mind that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance .<2>
- Colonial Pine Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Colonial Pine Hills
- Colonial Pine Hills lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the southeast of Silver City.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Colonial Pine Hills have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Colonial Pine Hills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dumont
- Dumont lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the northwest of Silver City.
- Estimated population in 2014: 45 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dumont
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenwood
- Greenwood lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the north of Silver City.
- Greenwood has also been known as:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenwood
- Hill City
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hill City
- Hill City lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the south of Silver City.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,074 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hill City have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hill City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Hill City<3>
- Johnson Siding
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Johnson Siding
- Johnson Siding lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the east of Silver City.
- Population from the 2010 Census: 659 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Johnson Siding
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mystic
- Mystic lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the west of Silver City.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mystic
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Rapid City
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Roubaix
- Roubaix lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the north of Silver City.
- Estimated population in 2013: 14 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roubaix
For more communities neighboring Silver City, please visit our County-by-County Page for Silver City.
Pennington County ...
Silver City is located in Pennington County<5>.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Pennington County: Custer, Haakon, Jackson, Lawrence, Meade, Oglala Lakota & Weston (WY).
Curious and Interesting Names Near Silver City ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Silver City.
Airports Near Silver City ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<6> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Silver City and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Silver City.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of South Dakota:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Silver City. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Pennington County: www.co.pennington.sd.us/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Silver City.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Silver City) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Silver City. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Silver CityOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Silver City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.0844, Longitude: -103.5638 In this case, the coordinates for Silver City have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Dakota's counties, including Pennington, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<6>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Silver City), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|