Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Ree Heights, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Ree Heights and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Ree Heights:
- 44.516094, -99.200661
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Ree Heights
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Ree Heights ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Blunt [Hughes County]
- Florence [Hand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Florence
- Florence [Hand County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the northeast of Ree Heights
- Estimated population in 2014: 374 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Florence have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Highmore [Hyde County]
- Holabird [Hyde County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Holabird
- Holabird [Hyde County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<1> to the west of Ree Heights
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Holabird have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Holabird
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Holabird<2>
- Continue List (3 more) ...
- Lees Corner [Buffalo County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lees Corner
- Lees Corner [Buffalo County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<1> to the south of Ree Heights
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Lees Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lees Corner
- Polo [Hand County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Polo
- Polo [Hand County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<1> to the north of Ree Heights
- Estimated population in 2014: 227 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Polo have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Polo
- Sweetland [Hand County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sweetland
- Sweetland [Hand County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the southeast of Ree Heights
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sweetland have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
How Far From Ree Heights to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Ree Heights to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Ree Heights and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Miller, which is the Seat of Hand County and lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<1> to the east. If you could walk a straight line from Ree Heights to Miller, with an average speed<4> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take four to five hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take a little over three hours.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 56 miles [90.1 km] to the west (W). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than an hour, a buggy would take over two days and walking would take most of three days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,202 miles [1,934.4 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 47 days and walking would take 69 days.
- The shortest distance<5> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,432 miles [10,351.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<6>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,194 miles [11,577.6 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,122 miles [8,243.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within South Dakota
About Hand County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Ree Heights. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ree Heights) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ree Heights. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Ree Heights
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ree Heights. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5161, Longitude: -99.2007 In this case, the coordinates for Ree Heights have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<2>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<5>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Ree Heights to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 322.561 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 320.979 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 314.032 degrees.||