Welcome to Oglala ...
Oglala is located in Oglala Lakota County<1>.
The pronunciation of Oglala: OHG-lah-luh<2>
Oglala is 3,000 feet [914 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Oglala is about ½ mile above sea level.
Time Zone: Oglala lies in the Mountain Time Zone (MST/MDT) and observes daylight saving time
Oglala is within the boundaries of the (605) area code.
The ZIP code for Oglala: 57764<4>
Communities near Oglala ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Oglala.
- Manderson - White Horse Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Manderson - White Horse Creek
- Manderson - White Horse Creek lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the east of Oglala.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Manderson - White Horse Creek. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Manderson - White Horse Creek
- Pine Ridge
- Wounded Knee
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Denby
- Denby lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the southeast of Oglala.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Denby
- Sharps Corner
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sharps Corner
- Sharps Corner lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the northeast of Oglala.
- Estimated population in 2014: 77 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sharps Corner
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oelrichs
- Oelrichs lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<5> to the west of Oglala.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 124 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oelrichs have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oelrichs
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Oelrichs<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockyford
- Rockyford lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<5> to the northeast of Oglala.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rockyford
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Oglala. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Oglala.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Oglala. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Oglala.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Oglala. See our Newspapers Page for Oglala.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Oglala ...
Looking for more information about Oglala? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Oglala, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Oglala.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Oglala. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Oglala Lakota County: oglalalakota.sdcounties.org/
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Dakota's counties, including Oglala Lakota, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Oglala. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Oglala - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Oglala). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Oglala or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Oglala) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Oglala. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from OglalaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Oglala. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.1884, Longitude: -102.7396 |
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|