Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Interior, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Interior and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Interior:
- 43.727493, -101.983765
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Interior
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Interior ...
We have found two communities that share the name Interior.
Within South Dakota, the name Interior is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, we know of another two communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Ontonagon County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Michigan community of Interior [Ontonagon County].
- Giles County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Virginia community of Interior [Giles County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Interior ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Allen [Bennett County]
- Cactus Flat [Jackson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cactus Flat have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cactus Flat
- Cactus Flat [Jackson County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the northeast of Interior
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cactus Flat
- Cottonwood [Jackson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cottonwood have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cottonwood
- Cottonwood [Jackson County] lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the north of Interior
- Estimated population in 2019: 10 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cottonwood
- Grindstone [Haakon County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grindstone have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grindstone
- Grindstone [Haakon County] lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the north of Interior
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grindstone
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Long Valley [Jackson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Long Valley have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Long Valley
- Long Valley [Jackson County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Interior
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Long Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Long Valley<3>
- Potato Creek [Jackson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Potato Creek
- Potato Creek [Jackson County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the south of Interior
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Potato Creek
- Rockyford [Oglala Lakota County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rockyford
- Rockyford [Oglala Lakota County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Interior
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rockyford
- Scenic [Pennington County]
- Sevenmile Corner [Jackson County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sevenmile Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sevenmile Corner
- Sevenmile Corner [Jackson County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the northeast of Interior
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sevenmile Corner
How Far From Interior to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a town such as Interior to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Interior and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Kadoka, which is the Seat of Jackson County and lies 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the east northeast. If you could walk a straight line from Interior to Kadoka, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just about two full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take most of a day.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 93 miles [149.7 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take most of three days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,330 miles [2,140.4 km] to the east (E). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 52 days and walking would take 76 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,558 miles [10,554.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,321 miles [11,782 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,259 miles [8,463.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of South Dakota
About Jackson County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Interior. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Interior could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Interior) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Interior. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Interior
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Interior. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.7275, Longitude: -101.9838 In this case, the coordinates for Interior have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Interior to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 324.58 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.212 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 315.745 degrees.||