Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Bullhead, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Bullhead and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Bullhead:
- 45.765553, -101.080693
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Bullhead
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Bullhead ...
We have found one communities that share the name Bullhead.
Within South Dakota, the name Bullhead is unique.
Beyond South Dakota, there is another community also named Bullhead in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- North Carolina
- Greene County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the North Carolina community of Bullhead [Greene County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Bullhead ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Black Horse [Corson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Black Horse
- Black Horse [Corson County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the west of Bullhead
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Black Horse have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Black Horse
- Kenel [Corson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kenel
- Kenel [Corson County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the east of Bullhead
- Estimated population in 2014: 61 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kenel
- Little Eagle [Corson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Little Eagle
- Little Eagle [Corson County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Bullhead
- Population from the 2010 Census: 319 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Little Eagle have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Eagle
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Little Eagle<4>
- Maple Leaf [Corson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maple Leaf
- Maple Leaf [Corson County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Bullhead
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Maple Leaf have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maple Leaf
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Porcupine [Sioux County]
- Shields [Grant County]
- Snake Creek [Corson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Snake Creek
- Snake Creek [Corson County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Bullhead
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Snake Creek have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Snake Creek
- Timber Lake [Dewey County]
- Trail City [Corson County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Trail City
- Trail City [Corson County] lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Bullhead
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Trail City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Trail City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Trail City<4>
How Far From Bullhead to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Bullhead to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Bullhead and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- McIntosh, which is the Seat of Corson County and lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Bullhead to McIntosh, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take most of a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take five to six hours.
- Pierre, which is the State Capital of South Dakota, lies 103 miles [165.8 km] to the south southeast (SSE). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take less than two hours, a buggy would take 4 days and walking would take 6 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,309 miles [2,106.6 km] to the east southeast (ESE). Driving would take about three full days, a buggy would take 52 days and walking would take 75 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 6,418 miles [10,328.8 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,182 miles [11,558.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,127 miles [8,251.1 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in South Dakota
About Corson County
About South Dakota
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Bullhead. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Dakota: sd.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Bullhead could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Bullhead) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Bullhead. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Bullhead
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Bullhead. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.7656, Longitude: -101.0807 In this case, the coordinates for Bullhead have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Bullhead to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 323.99 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 322.768 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 314.851 degrees.||