Census Data for Pawleys Island ...
The most recent Census Estimate<1> was for 2019 and it gave Pawleys Island a population of 109 people.
The last Decennial Census<2> was in 2010, which gave Pawleys Island a population of 103 people.
The town of Pawleys Island is located in Georgetown County. The 2010 Census gave Georgetown County; a population of 60,158 people. This means that Pawleys Island had 0.17% of the county's total population, making it Georgetown's 3rd most populous community.
At the same time, South Carolina had a population of 4,625,364 people.
The 2010 Census shows that the sampling area for Pawleys Island has a total area of 0.99 square miles [2.6 km²]. Of this total, 0.7 square miles [1.8 km²] is land, with the balance (29.33%) being water (0.29 square miles [0.8 km²]).
Georgetown County has a land area of 813 square miles [2,107.1 km²]. At 0.7 square miles [1.8 km²], Pawleys Island has 0.09% of the county's total land area.
- Continue Reading ...
- When the Census Bureau conducts a census for a town like Pawleys Island, they draw a boundary around the area in which they are going to conduct their count - this defines the sampling area (usually a polygon). The shape of the sampling area can be quite complex and it's important to keep in mind that the boundaries of the sampling area may or may not match the recognized boundaries of the town.
- Things like population, area and housing for Pawleys Island reflect the sampling area. Since the shape of the sampling area and the actual boundaries of Pawleys Island might be different, it's best to check with the U.S. Census Bureau to resolve any difference between the two.
- Not only does the sampling area define boundaries, it also has a GPS location (latitude & longitude) that indicates a point within the sampling area (usually the center of the polygon, known as the centroid). At the time of the 2010 Census, the sampling area was located at:
- Lat: 33° 25' 41" (or 33.43°)
- Lon: -79° 7' 29" (or -79.12°)
- More information on this topic and the changes between the 2000 Census and the 2010 Census can be found in the section for our Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Housing Units ...
At the time of the 2010 Census, Pawleys Island had 528 Housing Units<3> and with its population of 103 people, this averages 0.2 people per Housing Unit.
- Continue Reading ...
- The 2010 Census shows Pawleys Island had a land area of 0.7 square miles [1.8 km²]. This translates to 532 Housing Units per square mile [205.5 housing units/km²].
- From the Census of 2000: Pawleys Island had 521 Housing Units, a population of 138 people and a land area of 0.7 square miles [1.8 km²]. This gives a density of 0.26 people per Housing Unit and 524 Housing Units per square mile [202.6 housing units/km²].
- Note: Repeating the caution above (under Population Density), be aware that when comparing Housing Units between the 2010 Census and the 2000 Census, there were changes in the sampling area for Pawleys Island and you need to be careful when comparing values between the censuses. More information about these differences can be found in the section called Census-to-Census Observations ... (see below).
Georgetown County ...
The community of Pawleys Island<4> is located in Georgetown County<5>.
The county had a population of 60,158 people at the 2010 Census. With it's population of 103 people, Pawleys Island represented 0.17% of the county's total.
In addition, where the town of Pawleys Island has a population density of 103.8 people per square mile [40.09 people/km²], Georgetown County averages 73.9 people per square mile [28.55 people/km²].
For more information, please visit our Census Page for Georgetown County.
Census-to-Census Observations ...
When the Census Bureau takes a census count (or enumeration) for Pawleys Island, they start by specifying the boundaries of the area to be counted. This area (or sampling area) is a polygon and its shape can be quite complex - it may or may not match the geographical boundaries of Pawleys Island. It's important to note that from one Census to the next, the shape and location of the polygon can change.
- Continue Reading ...
- Although we don't have specific information about the shape of the polygon for Pawleys Island or how it changed has over time, there is some information that can give us some hints. For example, since the shape of the sampling area is directly related to the shape of the polygon, any change to area probably indicates a new shape for the polygon.
- If you need precision or details about the methodology of the Census, you should visit the U.S. Census Bureau for a definitive answer.
While generally coinciding with the GPS location (latitude/longitude) of Pawleys Island, the latitude and longitude given by the Census Bureau actually indicates the GPS location of the polygon for Pawleys Island.
- Continue Reading ...
- For the 2010 Census, the location was given as:
- Lat: 33.428093° (or 33°25'41" N)
- Lon: -79.124988° (or -79°7'29" W)
- For the 2000 Census, the location given was:
- Lat: 33.429169° (or 33°25'45" N)
- Lon: -79.124880° (or -79°7'29" W)
- The difference indicates that the U.S. Census Bureau moved the location of the polygon for the 2010 Census 393.7 feet to the south<6> of the location that was used in the 2000 Census.
- The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN) have assigned a unique GNIS identifier (#2407082) to Pawleys Island. This identifier also marks a GPS point on the map, and that point lies within the boundaries of Pawleys Island. The GNIS point has been mapped to the latitude/longitude:
- Lat: 33.425759° (or 33°25'32" N)
- Lon: -79.124942° (or -79°7'29" W)
- The GPS location given for the 2010 Census lies 851 feet to the north<7> of the point given by the GNIS for Pawleys Island. For more information about this and the relationship of the various Federal Codes, please visit our Misc Page for Pawleys Island.
Miscellaneous Information for Pawleys Island ...
The Federal government has assigned various identifying codes to each community, county and state. At one time or another, the US Census Bureau has used one (or more) of the following identifiers when referring to either Georgetown County or the town of Pawleys Island:
- The GNIS Codes ...
- The current system of identification is called the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS). The following GNIS codes relate to Pawleys Island:
- GNIS ID for Pawleys Island: 2407082
- GNIS ID for Georgetown County: 1248002
- GNIS ID for State of South Carolina: 1779799
- Misc. Census Codes ...
- Pawleys Island is located in Census Region #3 (the South Region) and Division #5 (the South Atlantic Division).
- The US Postal Service ZIP Code ...
- While some people have used a ZIP code to identify a community, the purpose of the ZIP code was to make mail delivery more efficient by grouping addresses together. Although the ZIP Code doesn't specifically identify a town like Pawleys Island, it does identify addresses that are in (or near) Pawleys Island. It's important to remember that the boundaries of a ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned or overlapped with other ZIP Codes.
- The ZIP code for Pawleys Island:29585<8>
- Census ZCTA Codes ...
- The US Census Bureau created statistical entities that they call ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTAs) and these ZCTAs are frequently confused with the ZIP codes that come from the US Postal Service (USPS).
- ZCTAs were first created for the 2000 Census and at that time, they were based upon the USPS ZIP codes. While largely covering the same areas, the boundaries of a ZCTA do not necessarily match the boundaries of a postal ZIP code with the same number. For example, while a postal ZIP code can cross a county or state line, a Census ZCTA can not. They should be treated as separate entities with no correlation between them.
For more information about the various Federal identification codes, please visit our Misc Page for Pawleys Island.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within South Carolina
About Georgetown County
About South Carolina
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Pawleys Island. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Georgetown County: www.georgetowncountysc.org/
The official website for State of South Carolina: https://sc.gov/
The official website of the U.S. Census Bureau
The official website of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (BGN)
The official website of the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
|<1>||Every year, the US Census Bureau creates a population estimate for the preceeding year. Keep in mind that this value is an estimate and not an actual count. The most recent Census estimate is for the year 2019.|
|<2>||Every 10 years (eg- 1990, 2000, 2010), the US Census Bureau conducts a Constitutionally-mandated count (or enumeration) of people living within the United States. This count is called a Decennial Census. The last Decennial Census was the 2010 Census, with the next one planned for 2020.|
|<3>||A Housing Unit is a broad term for those places where people live (whether occupied or temporarily vacant), such as a house, an apartment, a mobile home, or an area that is considered as a separate living quarter. Separate living quarters (consisting of one or more rooms) are considered to be those places where people live, sleep and eat separately from others and that have access to the outside (either directly or by a shared hallway).|
|<4>||It's a common practice for mapmakers to remove the apostrophe from possessive names. So Pawleys Island may originally have been Pawley's Island. Sometimes the trailing 's' might be dropped altogether, in which case Pawleys Island might be written as Pawley Island. For more information, please visit our Genealogy Helper Page for Pawleys Island.|
|<5>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Carolina's counties, including Georgetown, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the 2010 Census location is 175 degrees and a distance of 393.7 feet.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the GNIS point is 0 degrees and a distance of 851 feet.|
|<8>||When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Pawleys Island or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|