Around Alston ...
The largest community within a 50 mile [80 km] radius is Columbia. It is located about 23 miles [37 km] to the southeast of Alston. Columbia has a population of 132,000 people.<1>.
The next largest community is Lexington.
It is located about 18 miles [ km] to the south of Alston and has a population of 22,700 people.
Below is a sample of neighboring communities: Please note that when we give a distance, it's a 'straight-line' distance .<2>
- Ballentine [Richland County]
- Blair [Fairfield County]
- Chapin [Lexington County]
- Dutch Village [Richland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dutch Village
- Dutch Village [Richland County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Alston
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dutch Village have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dutch Village
- Jenkinsville [Fairfield County]
- Little Mountain [Newberry County]
- Continue List (9 more) ...
- Monticello [Fairfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monticello
- Monticello [Fairfield County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the north of Alston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monticello
- Peak [Newberry County]
- Pomaria [Newberry County]
- Prosperity [Newberry County]
- Rion [Fairfield County]
- Rock Hill [Fairfield County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rock Hill
- Rock Hill [Fairfield County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the east of Alston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rock Hill
- Slighs [Newberry County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Slighs
- Slighs [Newberry County] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the southwest of Alston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Slighs
- Union [Newberry County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Union
- Union [Newberry County] lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the west of Alston
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union
- White Rock [Richland County]
For more communities neighboring Alston, please visit our County-by-County Page for Alston.
Fairfield County ...
Alston is located in Fairfield County<5>.
The following counties adjoin and form the boundaries of Fairfield County: Chester, Kershaw, Lancaster, Newberry, Richland & Union.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Alston ...
It seems like there is always a nearby community with a name that seems interesting, maybe familiar or just catches our attention in some other way. We've collected some names which strike us as being curious or interesting. Our list can be found on the Tidbits & Trivia Page for Alston.
Airports Near Alston ...
When a trip includes a flight, we try to find an airport that best fits our travel plans.<6> To that purpose, we've assembled a list of that are relatively close to Alston and that information can be found on the Airports Page for Alston.
Websites We Enjoy ...
When we're planning a trip, we like to check the following websites for sights, attractions and places to visit.
- For the State of South Carolina:
- TripAdvisor Links for:
- Also of Interest:
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within South Carolina
About Fairfield County
About South Carolina
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Alston. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of South Carolina: https://sc.gov/
|<1>||Population counts have been provided by the U.S. Census Bureau. For more detail, please visit our Census Page for Alston.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Alston) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Alston. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.2435, Longitude: -81.3168 In this case, the coordinates for Alston have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||If you're interested in how the shape of South Carolina's counties, including Fairfield, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<6>||When we are planning a trip (for example, to Alston), we usually look for the obvious: the choice of airlines that fly into the airport, the number of flights, the connections we have to make, which car rentals are available, etc. We also look for sights and attractions that we might find between any given airport and our destination - we do love exploring. We're willing to fly into a more distant airport if we can get the services and amenities that we like. Even though our choice of airport might be inconvenient to others, it usually gives us a better trip.|