Our Genealogy Helper for Saint Urbain de Chateauguay ...
Although we found mention of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Saint Urbain de Chateauguay was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it's a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Saint Urbain de Chateauguay (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Saint Urbain de Chateauguay. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Name Variations for Saint Urbain de Chateauguay ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations or people who just guessed at the name. Sometimes the post office had a slightly different name than the community and while one document might refer to the community name, the next might use the post office name.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give a you a feel for the variations that might have occurred with Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
- Typical abbreviation for Saint Urbain de Chateauguay: St. Urbain De Chateauguay
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Saint Urbain de Chateauguay:
- Websites specific to Quebec
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Quebec
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
- Stories from Quebec
- Stories from Vermont
Cemeteries Near Saint Urbain de Chateauguay ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Saint Urbain de Chateauguay covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Chateauguay Protestant Cemetery
- Trinity Anglican Cemetery
- Ormstown Union Cemetery
- Dunn Cemetery
- Bethel Cemetery
- Hemmingford Protestant Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Hemmingford Catholic Cemetery
- Walker Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Walker Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Walker Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the south of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Walker Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Walker Cemetery
- Roxham Cemetery
- Lakeview Memorial Gardens
- Murray Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Murray Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Murray Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the southeast of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Murray Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Murray Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Union Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Union Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the south of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Union Cemetery
- St. Anns Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the St. Anns Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- St. Anns Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the south of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Anns Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Anns Cemetery
- Mooers Riverside Cemetery
- Riverside Cemetery
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for the Riverside Cemetery have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Riverside Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the southeast of Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Riverside Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Riverside Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Saint Urbain de Chateauguay. See our List of 1890's Communities around Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Saint Urbain de Chateauguay and then turned east". While Saint Urbain de Chateauguay could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Saint Urbain de Chateauguay as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Saint Urbain de Chateauguay could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Quebec community named Saint Urbain de Chateauguay.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Saint Urbain de Chateauguay) to Point B.|
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Saint Urbain de Chateauguay. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.2042, Longitude: -73.7448
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|