Curious and Interesting Names Near Saint Roch de Mekinac ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hunterstown came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunterstown
- Hunterstown lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Saint Roch de Mekinac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunterstown
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Louiseville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<1>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Louiseville
- Louiseville lies 39 miles [62.8 km]<2> to the south of Saint Roch de Mekinac
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Louiseville
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Saint Roch de Mekinac. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- John Chretien (25th Prime Minister of Canada (November 1993 - December 2003))
- 25th Prime Minister of Canada (November 1993 - December 2003). He was born in Shawinigan (Quebec) on Thursday January 11, 1934
- Shawinigan is located 17 miles [27.4 km] to the south of Saint Roch de Mekinac.
How Far From Saint Roch de Mekinac to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Saint Roch de Mekinac to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Saint Roch de Mekinac and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 170 miles [273.6 km]<2> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could drive a straight line from Saint Roch de Mekinac to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take about three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 10 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,400 miles [8,690.5 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,129 miles [9,863.7 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,007 miles [6,448.6 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Saint Roch de Mekinac) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Saint Roch de Mekinac. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Saint Roch de Mekinac
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Saint Roch de Mekinac. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.8167, Longitude: -72.7667
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Saint Roch de Mekinac to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 304.322 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 300.72 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 299.041 degrees.||