Communities Also Named Port Cartier ...
We have found one communities that share the name Port Cartier.
There is one other community in Quebec which is also named Port Cartier.
- Communities Located In Quebec ...
- The profile page for Port Cartier #1
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Quebec community of Port Cartier.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Port Cartier ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
In the vicinity of Port Cartier, Seven Islands is located 24 miles [38.6 km]<2> to the Northeast
How Far From Port Cartier to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a city such as Port Cartier to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Port Cartier and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 517 miles [832 km]<2> to the southwest (SW). If you could drive a straight line from Port Cartier to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 30 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 21 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,054 miles [8,133.6 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 5,786 miles [9,311.7 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 3,666 miles [5,899.9 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Port Cartier. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Port Cartier could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Port Cartier) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Port Cartier. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Port CartierOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Port Cartier. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 50.0167, Longitude: -66.8667 |
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Port Cartier to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 299.744 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 296.242 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 293.857 degrees.||