Our Genealogy Helper for Pointe Rocheuse ...
Although we found mention of Pointe Rocheuse during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Pointe Rocheuse was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Pointe Rocheuse (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Pointe Rocheuse. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Pointe Rocheuse ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Pointe Rocheuse: Pte. Rocheuse
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Pointe Rocheuse:
- Websites specific to Quebec
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Quebec
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Newfoundland and Labrador
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Pointe Rocheuse ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Pointe Rocheuse.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Pointe Rocheuse covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Anglican Cemetery, Forteau
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Anglican Cemetery, Forteau
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Anglican Cemetery, Forteau. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Anglican Cemetery, Forteau lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east of Pointe Rocheuse.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Anglican Cemetery, Forteau
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2621559<4>
- Forteau United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Forteau United Church Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Forteau United Church Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Forteau United Church Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east of Pointe Rocheuse.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Forteau United Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2621563<4>
- English Point Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the English Point Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the English Point Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- English Point Cemetery lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<3> to the east of Pointe Rocheuse.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on English Point Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2621564<4>
- L'Anse Amour Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the L'Anse Amour Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the L'Anse Amour Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- L'Anse Amour Cemetery lies 23 miles [37 km]<3> to the east of Pointe Rocheuse.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on L'Anse Amour Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2481393<4>
- L'Anse au Diable Catholic Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the L'Anse au Diable Catholic Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the L'Anse au Diable Catholic Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- L'Anse au Diable Catholic Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<3> to the east of Pointe Rocheuse.
- L'Anse au Diable Catholic Cemetery has also been known as:
- L'Anse au Diable RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on L'Anse au Diable Catholic Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2278882<4>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Pointe Rocheuse. See our List of 1890's Communities around Pointe Rocheuse.
Other Roadside Stops ...
The Communities of Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Pointe Rocheuse and then turned east". While Pointe Rocheuse could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Pointe Rocheuse as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Pointe Rocheuse could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Quebec community named Pointe Rocheuse.
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Pointe Rocheuse) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Pointe Rocheuse. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 51.4667, Longitude: -57.4167 |
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|