Our Genealogy Helper for Pointe Bourg ...
Although we found mention of Pointe Bourg during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Pointe Bourg was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Pointe Bourg (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Pointe Bourg. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Pointe Bourg ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Pointe Bourg: Pte. Bourg
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Pointe Bourg:
- Websites specific to Quebec
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Quebec
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New Brunswick
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Pointe Bourg ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Pointe Bourg.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Pointe Bourg covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Dalhousie Riverview Cemetery Extension
- New Mills Protestant Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the New Mills Protestant Cemetery
- New Mills Protestant Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the southwest of Pointe Bourg.
- New Mills Protestant Cemetery has also been known as:
- New Mills Cemetery
- Zion United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Mills Protestant Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2255120<3>
- St. Gabriel's Cemetery
- St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery
- St. Francois Xavier Cemetery
- St. Maria Goretti Catholic Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Eel River Crossing Cemetery
- St. John Evangelist RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. John Evangelist RC Cemetery
- St. John Evangelist RC Cemetery lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<2> to the southeast of Pointe Bourg.
- St. John Evangelist RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. John Evangelist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. John Evangelist RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2474500<3>
- St. Edgar Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Edgar Cemetery
- St. Edgar Cemetery lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the northeast of Pointe Bourg.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Edgar Cemetery
- St. Luke's United Cemetery
- Brookside Cemetery
- St. Polycarpe RC Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Polycarpe RC Cemetery
- St. Polycarpe RC Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Pointe Bourg.
- St. Polycarpe RC Cemetery has also been known as:
- Petit Rocher RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Polycarpe RC Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2472004<3>
- Campbellton Rural Cemetery
- Riverside Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Pointe Bourg. See our List of 1890's Communities around Pointe Bourg.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Pointe Bourg and then turned east". While Pointe Bourg could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Pointe Bourg as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Pointe Bourg could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Quebec community named Pointe Bourg.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Pointe Bourg) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Pointe Bourg. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 48.1042, Longitude: -66.0731 |
|<3>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|