Our Genealogy Helper for Otter Lake ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Otter Lake (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Otter Lake. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Otter Lake ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Otter Lake: Otter Lk.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Otter Lake:
- Websites specific to Quebec
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Quebec
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Otter Lake ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Otter Lake.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Otter Lake covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Howard Cemetery
- McLeese Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the McLeese Cemetery
- McLeese Cemetery lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the southwest of Otter Lake.
- McLeese Cemetery has also been known as:
- McLaren's Settlement Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McLeese Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2645651<2>
- Grace United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Grace United Church Cemetery
- The Grace United Church Cemetery is located 4 miles [6.4 km]<1> to the east of Beachburg (ON).More precisely, Grace United Church Cemetery lies 25 miles [40.2 km] to the west of Otter Lake.
- Grace United Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Perretton Grace United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grace United Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2605434<2>
- Rupert Union Cemetery
- Haley Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Haley Cemetery
- Haley Cemetery lies 26 miles [41.8 km]<1> to the southwest of Otter Lake.
- Haley Cemetery has also been known as:
- Haley Station Cemetery
- Haley United Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Haley Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2203314<2>
- Cobden Union Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cobden Union Cemetery
- The Cobden Union Cemetery is located outside and to the southeast of Cobden (ON).Stated another way, Cobden Union Cemetery lies 27 miles [43.5 km]<1> to the southwest of Otter Lake.
- Cobden Union Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cobden Cemetery
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cobden Union Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2199566<2>
- Continue List ...
- Greenwood United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Greenwood United Church Cemetery
- The Greenwood United Church Cemetery is located outside and to the northeast of Greenwood (ON).Greenwood United Church Cemetery lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the west of Otter Lake.
- Greenwood United Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Greenwood Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenwood United Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2439040<2>
- McDonald Burying Ground
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the McDonald Burying Ground
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the McDonald Burying Ground. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- McDonald Burying Ground lies 28 miles [45.1 km]<1> to the west of Otter Lake.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on McDonald Burying Ground
- Rosebank Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Rosebank Cemetery
- Rosebank Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Otter Lake.
- Rosebank Cemetery has also been known as:
- Rosebank United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rosebank Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2199563<2>
- St. Francis Xavier Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. Francis Xavier Cemetery
- St. Francis Xavier Cemetery lies 29 miles [46.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Otter Lake.
- St. Francis Xavier Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Francis Xavier RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. Francis Xavier Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2279309<2>
- MacLaren Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Otter Lake. See our List of 1890's Communities around Otter Lake.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Otter Lake. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Otter Lake) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Otter Lake. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Otter LakeOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Otter Lake. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.8794, Longitude: -76.4425 |
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|