Our Genealogy Helper for Farmer's Rapids ...
Although we found mention of Farmer's Rapids during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Farmer's Rapids was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Farmer's Rapids (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Farmer's Rapids. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Farmer's Rapids ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Farmer's Rapids: Farmers Rpds.
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Farmer's Rapids:
- Websites specific to Quebec
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Quebec
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Farmer's Rapids ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Farmer's Rapids.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Farmer's Rapids covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Pink Cemetery
- Barracks Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Barracks Hill Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Barracks Hill Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Barracks Hill Cemetery
- Beechwood Cemetery
- Notre Dame Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Notre Dame Cemetery
- Notre Dame Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Farmer's Rapids.
- Notre Dame Cemetery has also been known as:
- Notre Dame RC Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Notre Dame Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #639417<2>
- East Templeton Cemetery
- Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Old St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Old St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Old St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the southwest of Farmer's Rapids.
- Old St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Pinhey's Point Cemetery
- St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Old St. Mary's Anglican Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2483691<2>
- Pinecrest Cemetery
- Merivale Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Merivale Cemetery
- Merivale Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the south of Farmer's Rapids.
- Merivale Cemetery has also been known as:
- Merivale Public Cemetery
- Merivale Union Cemetery
- Merivale United Cemetery
- Merivale United Church Cemetery
- Pinecrest Public Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Merivale Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2188355<2>
- Jewish Memorial Gardens
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Jewish Memorial Gardens
- Jewish Memorial Gardens lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Farmer's Rapids.
- Jewish Memorial Gardens has also been known as:
- United Jewish Cemetery
- United Jewish Community Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jewish Memorial Gardens
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2584058<2>
- Wood's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Wood's Cemetery
- Wood's Cemetery lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the southeast of Farmer's Rapids.
- Wood's Cemetery has also been known as:
- Ellwood Cemetery
- Leonard Wood Cemetery
- Wood's Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Wood's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2625730<2>
- St. Joseph D'Orleans Cemetery
- St. Isidore RC Cemetery
- Bells Corners Union Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bells Corners Union Cemetery
- Bells Corners Union Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the south of Farmer's Rapids.
- Bells Corners Union Cemetery has also been known as:
- Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bells Corners Union Cemetery
- Ramsayville Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ramsayville Cemetery
- Ramsayville Cemetery lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<4> to the southeast of Farmer's Rapids.
- Ramsayville Cemetery has also been known as:
- Bethany United Cemetery
- Ramsayville Protestant / Bethany United Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ramsayville Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2332703<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Farmer's Rapids. See our List of 1890's Communities around Farmer's Rapids.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Farmer's Rapids and then turned west". While Farmer's Rapids could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Farmer's Rapids as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Farmer's Rapids could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Quebec community named Farmer's Rapids.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Farmer's Rapids) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Farmer's Rapids. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.4956, Longitude: -75.7619 |