Our Genealogy Helper for Avoca ...
Although we found mention of Avoca during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Avoca was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool which helps us with planning our trips.
- We're trying to shape our Gazetteer as a tool to help us understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
- On our trips, we try to visit those places where our ancestors left their footprints.
By learning about Avoca (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this our Genealogical Helper for Avoca. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first turn to the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Avoca:
- Websites specific to Quebec
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Quebec
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
- Stories from Quebec
Cemeteries Near Avoca ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Avoca.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Avoca covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Avoca Cemetery
- Pointe au Chene Protestant Cemetery
- Calumet Cemetery
- Scotch Road Cemetery
- Cassburn Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Cassburn Cemetery
- Cassburn Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the south of Avoca.
- Cassburn Cemetery has also been known as:
- Cassburn Methodist Church Cemetery
- Cassburn United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cassburn Cemetery
- Edina Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Lost River Cemetery
- Saint Victor Parish Cemetery
- Brownsburg RC Cemetery
- McLaughlin Cemetery
- Glen Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Glen Cemetery
- Glen Cemetery lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<3> to the northeast of Avoca.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glen Cemetery
- Louisa Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Louisa Cemetery
- Louisa Cemetery lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<3> to the east of Avoca.
- Louisa Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Aidans Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Louisa Cemetery
- Fenaghvale Cemetery
- Grace Church Anglican Cemetery
- Plantagenet Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Plantagenet Cemetery
- Plantagenet Cemetery lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the southwest of Avoca.
- Plantagenet Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. Paul's RC Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Plantagenet Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2414784<2>
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Avoca. See our List of 1890's Communities around Avoca.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Avoca and then turned east". While Avoca could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Avoca as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Avoca could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Quebec community named Avoca.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Avoca) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Avoca. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.7167, Longitude: -74.7000 |