Curious and Interesting Names Near Almaville en Haut ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dieppe
- Dieppe lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Almaville en Haut
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dieppe came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dieppe
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunterstown
- Hunterstown lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<1> to the southwest of Almaville en Haut
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hunterstown came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunterstown
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Louiseville
- Louiseville lies 20 miles [32.2 km]<1> to the southwest of Almaville en Haut
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Louiseville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Louiseville
- Red Mill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Red Mill
- Red Mill lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the southeast of Almaville en Haut
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Red Mill came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Red Mill
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Almaville en Haut. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- John Chretien (25th Prime Minister of Canada (November 1993 - December 2003))
- Full name: Joseph Jacques Jean Chretien
- 25th Prime Minister of Canada (November 1993 - December 2003). He was born in Shawinigan (QC) on January 11, 1934 (a Thursday)
- Shawinigan is located 2 miles [3.2 km] to the north of Almaville en Haut.
How Far From Almaville en Haut to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Almaville en Haut to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Almaville en Haut and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 160 miles [257.5 km]<1> to the west southwest (WSW). If you could drive a straight line from Almaville en Haut to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<3>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 7 days.
- The shortest distance<4> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,411 miles [8,708.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<5>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,138 miles [9,878.2 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<6>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,016 miles [6,463.1 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<7>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Almaville en Haut) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Almaville en Haut. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.5233, Longitude: -72.7519 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<4>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Almaville en Haut to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<5>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 304.363 degrees.|
|<6>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 300.715 degrees.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 299.193 degrees.|