Communities Also Named Abercorn ...
We have found two communities that share the name Abercorn.
Within Quebec, the name Abercorn is unique.
Beyond Quebec, there is another community also named Abercorn in the United States.
In addition to the above occurrences of Abercorn, we know of another community located outside of the United States and Canada.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Effingham County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Georgia community of Abercorn [Effingham County].
- Communities Beyond North America ...
- Distance: 9,644 miles [15,520.5 km]<2> to the west northwest
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Abercorn
Curious and Interesting Names Near Abercorn ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Chapel's Corner
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chapel's Corner
- Chapel's Corner lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northwest of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Chapel's Corner came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Chapel's Corner
- Grey Rock
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Grey Rock
- Grey Rock lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the northeast of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Grey Rock came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Grey Rock
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highwater
- Highwater lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the east of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Highwater came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highwater
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hillside
- Hillside lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the northwest of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hillside came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hillside
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Hunter Mills
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hunter Mills
- Hunter Mills lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the west of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hunter Mills came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hunter Mills
- Joy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Joy Hill
- Joy Hill lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the west of Abercorn
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Joy Hill
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mansville
- Mansville lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the north of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mansville came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mansville
- Nine Holes
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nine Holes
- Nine Holes lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<2> to the northeast of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nine Holes came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<3>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nine Holes
- Stevens Mills [Orleans County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stevens Mills
- Stevens Mills [Orleans County] lies 3 miles [4.8 km]<2> to the southeast of Abercorn
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stevens Mills have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stevens Mills
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Abercorn. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Chester A. Arthur (21st President of the US (1881 - 1885))
- Full name: Chester Alan Arthur
- 21st President of the US (1881 - 1885). He was born in Fairfield (VT) on October 5, 1829 (a Monday) and died on November 18, 1886 (a Thursday) at the age of 57. He is buried at Albany Rural Cemetery (Albany County, New York).
- Fairfield is located 21 miles [33.8 km] to the southwest of Abercorn.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Chester A. Arthur<5>
How Far From Abercorn to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a village such as Abercorn to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Abercorn and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 149 miles [239.8 km]<2> to the west northwest (WNW). If you could drive a straight line from Abercorn to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<6>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take less than three hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 9 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 days.
- The shortest distance<7> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,466 miles [8,796.7 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,187 miles [9,957 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<9>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,063 miles [6,538.8 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<10>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Abercorn
Search for a Community located in Quebec
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Abercorn. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Quebec: https://www.quebec.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Rock Creek to see Pete ... Rock Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Abercorn could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Abercorn) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Abercorn. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AbercornOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Abercorn. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.0414, Longitude: -72.6635 |
|<3>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<6>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<7>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Abercorn to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 304.549 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 300.668 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 299.938 degrees.||