Welcome to Augustus ...
Although we found mention of Augustus during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Augustus was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Augustus to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Augustus, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Augustus might be (or was) located is in the Atlantic Time Zone (AST/ADT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: AST- Heure Normale de l'Atlantique (HNA), ADT- Heure Avancée de l'Atlantique (HAA).
We believe that Augustus would be found within the (902) area code.
Communities Also Named Augustus ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 3 communities that are also named Augustus - they are located in Prince Edward Island, Tennessee and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Augustus.
Communities near Augustus ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Augustus.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Stratford
- Stratford lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the southwest of Augustus
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Stratford came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Stratford
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Stratford<3>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Montague
- Montague lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the southeast of Augustus
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Montague came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Montague
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Montague<3>
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Miltonvale Park
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Miltonvale Park
- Miltonvale Park lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<2> to the west of Augustus
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Miltonvale Park came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Miltonvale Park
- Clyde River
- Warren Grove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warren Grove
- Warren Grove lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<2> to the west of Augustus
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Warren Grove came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warren Grove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Brackley
- Brackley lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<2> to the west of Augustus
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Brackley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Brackley
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Augustus ...
Looking for more information about Augustus? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Augustus, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Augustus.
Adding Augustus to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
Our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Augustus was on a map titled Map of Maritime Provinces of Canada (from Rand McNally, 1897).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Augustus on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Prince Edward Island
About Prince Edward Island
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Prince Edward Island: https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Augustus and then turned east". While Augustus could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Augustus as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Augustus could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Augustus) to Point B.Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Augustus. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.3333, Longitude: -62.8833 |
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|