Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Kimble, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Kimble and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Kimble:
- 41.468594, -75.122486
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Kimble
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Kimble ...
We have found three communities that share the name Kimble.
Within Pennsylvania, the name Kimble is unique.
Beyond Pennsylvania, we know of another three communities that are located throughout in the United States.
- Communities Elsewhere In North America ...
- Kings County
- This community is historic<1> and we have very little information. For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the California community of Kimble [Kings County].
- Russell County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<2> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the Kentucky community of Kimble [Russell County].
- Texas County
- This Kimble is located in Texas County and lies 928 miles [1,493.5 km]<3> to the west of the Kimble that is located in Pike County.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kimble
- For more information, please visit our profile page for the Texas County community of Kimble.
Curious and Interesting Names Near Kimble ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Blooming Grove [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Blooming Grove
- Blooming Grove [Pike County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Kimble
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Blooming Grove have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Blooming Grove
- Cherry Ridge [Wayne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cherry Ridge
- Cherry Ridge [Wayne County] lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the northwest of Kimble
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cherry Ridge have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cherry Ridge
- Fawn Lake Forest [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fawn Lake Forest
- Fawn Lake Forest [Pike County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northeast of Kimble
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fawn Lake Forest have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fawn Lake Forest
- Indian Orchard [Wayne County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Indian Orchard
- Indian Orchard [Wayne County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northwest of Kimble
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Indian Orchard have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Indian Orchard
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Lakeville [Wayne County]
- Lords Valley [Pike County]
- Masthope [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Masthope
- Masthope [Pike County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Kimble
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Masthope
- Masthope Rapids [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Masthope Rapids
- Masthope Rapids [Pike County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Kimble
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Masthope Rapids have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Masthope Rapids
- Tanglewood [Pike County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tanglewood
- Tanglewood [Pike County] lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the southwest of Kimble
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Tanglewood have been provided by the GNIS.<4> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Tanglewood
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Kimble. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Thomas Everett 'Tom' Burns (Major League Baseball> *~~mlb:<1880/05/01:1892/07/22)
- William Chauvenet (Mathematician, professor)
- Hugh Jennings (Major League Baseball)
- Major League Baseball. He was born in Pittston (PA) on April 2, 1869 (a Friday) and died in Scranton (PA) on February 1, 1928 (a Wednesday) at the age of 58.
- Pittston is located 35 miles [56.3 km] to the west of Kimble.
- Scranton is located 28 miles [45.1 km] to the west of Kimble.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Hugh Jennings<6>
- Herbert 'Herb' Kalin (Musician, singer)
- Milton Kamen (Actor, comic)
- Actor, comic. He was born in Hurleyville (NY) on March 5, 1921 (a Saturday) and died in Beverly Hills (CA) on February 24, 1977 (a Thursday) at the age of 55. He is buried at Eden Memorial Park (Los Angeles County, California).
- Hurleyville is located 29 miles [46.7 km] to the northeast of Kimble.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Milton Kamen<6>
- Joseph Bohomiel 'Joe' Lapchick (Professional basketball)
- Charles Emmett Mack (Actor)
- Pat O'Malley (Actor)
- Peter Steele (Musician)
- Born: Petrus Thomas Ratajczyk
- Musician. He was born in Red Hook (NY) on January 4, 1962 (a Thursday) and died in Scranton (PA) on April 14, 2010 (a Wednesday) at the age of 48. He is buried at St. Charles RC Cemetery (Suffolk County, New York).
- Scranton is located 28 miles [45.1 km] to the west of Kimble.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Peter Steele<6>
How Far From Kimble to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Kimble to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Kimble and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Milford, which is the Seat of Pike County and lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<3> to the east southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Kimble to Milford, with an average speed<7> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take just over a day to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 6 hours.
- Harrisburg, which is the State Capital of Pennsylvania, lies 122 miles [196.3 km] to the southwest (SW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 7 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 204 miles [328.3 km] to the south southwest (SSW). Driving would take a little over three hours, a buggy would take 8 days and walking would take 12 days.
- The shortest distance<8> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,710 miles [9,189.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,421 miles [10,333.6 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<10>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,297 miles [6,915.4 km] and it lies to the east northeast (ENE).<11>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in Pennsylvania
About Pike County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Kimble. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Pike County: www.pikepa.org/
The official website for State of Pennsylvania: https://www.pa.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Kimble, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Kimble could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Kimble) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Kimble. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from KimbleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Kimble. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 41.4686, Longitude: -75.1225 |
|<4>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<7>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<8>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Kimble to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 306.533 degrees.|
|<10>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 302.306 degrees.|
|<11>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 302.82 degrees.||