Welcome to Timber ...
Timber is located in Washington County<1>.
Timber is 1,020 feet [311 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Timber lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Timber: (503) & (971)<3>
The ZIP code for Timber: 97144<4>
Communities Also Named Timber ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 2 communities that are also named Timber - they are located in Missouri and Texas.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Timber.
Communities near Timber ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Timber.
- Forest Grove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cornelius
- Cornelius lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the southeast of Timber.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 13,116 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cornelius have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cornelius
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cornelius<6>
- North Plains
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for North Plains
- North Plains lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Timber.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 2,194 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for North Plains have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on North Plains
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for North Plains<6>
- Gales Creek
- Ryan's Camp ‑ Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ryan's Camp
- Ryan's Camp was located 9 miles [14.5 km]<5> to the southwest of Timber.
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Ryan's Camp. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<8>
- Ryan's Camp has also been known as:
- Kansas City
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kansas City
- Kansas City lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the southeast of Timber.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kansas City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kansas City
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Timber. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Timber.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Timber. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Timber.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Timber. See our Newspapers Page for Timber.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Timber ...
Looking for more information about Timber? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Timber, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Timber.
Adding Timber to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Timber in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
From our notes, the earliest published mention we've found for Timber was on a map titled Map of Oregon (from Mobile Oil, 1949).
For more details, see References and Mentions for Timber.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Timber. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Washington County: www.co.washington.or.us/
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Washington, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Timber - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (971) is an overlay for area code (503).|
|<4>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Timber). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Timber or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Timber) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Timber. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from TimberOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Timber. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.7203, Longitude: -123.2963 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|