Welcome to Austin ...
Austin is located in Grant County<1>.
When the people of Austin refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Austinite<2>
Austin is 4,110 feet [1,253 m] above sea level.<3> In other words, the altitude of Austin is about ¾ mile [or 1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: Austin lies in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Telephone area codes for Austin: (541) and (458)<4>
Communities Also Named Austin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 42 communities that are also named Austin - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), California, Colorado (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York (2), North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas, Utah, Washington (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Austin.
Communities near Austin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Austin.
- Prairie City [Grant County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Prairie City have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prairie City
- Prairie City [Grant County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the southwest of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 878 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prairie City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Prairie City<7>
- Sumpter [Baker County]
- Unity [Baker County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Unity have been provided by the GNIS.<5> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Unity
- Unity [Baker County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<6> to the southeast of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 68 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Unity
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Unity<7>
- Granite [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Granite
- Granite [Grant County] lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<6> to the north of Austin
- Estimated population in 2018: 37 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Granite
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Greenhorn [Baker County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenhorn
- Greenhorn [Baker County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<6> to the north of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenhorn
- Whitney [Baker County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Whitney
- Whitney [Baker County] was located 10 miles [16.1 km]<6> to the east of Austin
- Susanville [Grant County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Susanville
- Susanville [Grant County] was located 15 miles [24.1 km]<6> to the northwest of Austin
- Galena [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Galena
- Galena [Grant County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<6> to the northwest of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Galena
- Bourne [Baker County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bourne
- Bourne [Baker County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the northeast of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bourne
- Cabell City [Grant County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cabell City
- Cabell City [Grant County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<6> to the north of Austin
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cabell City
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Austin. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Austin.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Austin. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Austin.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Austin. See our Newspapers Page for Austin.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Austin ...
Looking for more information about Austin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Austin, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Austin.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Oregon
About Grant County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Austin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of Oregon: https://www.oregon.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Oregon's counties, including Grant, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Austin refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Austin may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Austin - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<4>||Area code (458) is an overlay for area code (541).|
|<5>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<6>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Austin) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Austin. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Austin
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Austin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.6035, Longitude: -118.4972
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|