Welcome to Windsor ...
When the people of Windsor refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Windsorites<1>
The city of Windsor is 570 feet [174 m] above sea level.<2>.
Time Zone: Windsor lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Area codes for Windsor: (519) & (226)<3>
The Canadian Postal Code for Windsor: N9A<4>
Websites for Windsor ...
Official Website: www.citywindsor.ca/
Chamber of Commerce: www.windsorchamber.org/
Communities Also Named Windsor ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 45 communities that are also named Windsor - they are located in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois (2), Indiana, Iowa, Kansas (3), Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri (2), New Brunswick, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Carolina (2), North Dakota, Nova Scotia, Ohio (5), Pennsylvania, Quebec (3), South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia (4) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Windsor.
Communities near Windsor ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Windsor.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Warren
- Warren lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the north of Windsor.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 132,877 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Warren have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Warren has also been known as:
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Warren
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Warren<7>
- Sterling Heights
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sterling Heights
- Sterling Heights lies 18 miles [29 km]<5> to the north of Windsor.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 131,709 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sterling Heights have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sterling Heights
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sterling Heights<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Taylor
- Taylor lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the southwest of Windsor.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 60,576 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Taylor have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Taylor
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Taylor<7>
- Royal Oak
- Saint Clair Shores
- Dearborn Heights
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dearborn Heights
- Dearborn Heights lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the west of Windsor.
- Population from the 2020 Census: 55,027 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dearborn Heights have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dearborn Heights
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Dearborn Heights<7>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Windsor. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Windsor.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Windsor. See our Newspapers Page for Windsor.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Windsor ...
Looking for more information about Windsor? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Windsor, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Windsor.
Adding Windsor to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
The earliest source that we've referenced which mentioned Windsor was on a map titled Road Map for Ontario (from Shell Oil, 1955).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Windsor.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Windsor: www.citywindsor.ca/
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Windsor refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a city's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Windsor may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Windsor - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||Area code (226) is an overlay for area code (519).|
|<4>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. In the case of Windsor, we provide only the FSA and not the LDU. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Windsor). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Windsor or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Windsor) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Windsor. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from WindsorOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Windsor. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 42.3145, Longitude: -83.0368 |
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|