Welcome to Salem ...
Although we found mention of Salem during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Salem was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Salem to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Salem, please Contact Us.
When the people of Salem refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Salemite<2>
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Salem might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Salem would be found within the (519) and (226)<3> area codes.
Communities Also Named Salem ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 122 communities that are also named Salem - they are located in Alabama (4), Arkansas (5), Connecticut, Florida, Georgia (8), Idaho, Illinois (2), Indiana (4), Iowa, Kansas (7), Kentucky (4), Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan (2), Mississippi (6), Missouri (4), Montana, Nebraska, New Brunswick (2), New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina (8), Nova Scotia, Ohio (7), Oklahoma (3), Ontario (5), Oregon, Pennsylvania (4), South Carolina (4), South Dakota, Tennessee (7), Texas (8), Utah, Virginia (5), West Virginia (3), Wisconsin (2) and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Salem.
Communities near Salem ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Salem.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Clifford
- Clifford lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the east of Salem.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Clifford
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Formosa
- Formosa lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the east of Salem.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Formosa came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Formosa
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Formosa<5>
- Little Egypt
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Little Egypt
- Little Egypt lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the northwest of Salem.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Little Egypt came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Egypt
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Westford
- Westford lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the west of Salem.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Westford came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Westford
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Ambleside
- Ambleside lies 5 miles [8 km]<4> to the southeast of Salem.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Ambleside came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ambleside
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kinloss
- Kinloss lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<4> to the northwest of Salem.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kinloss
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Salem ...
Looking for more information about Salem? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Salem, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Salem.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Salem and then turned west". While Salem could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Salem as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Salem could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Salem refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Salem may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Area code (226) is an overlay for area code (519).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Salem) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Salem. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from SalemOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Salem. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.0554, Longitude: -81.3019 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|