Our Genealogy Helper for Saint Christopher ...
Although we found mention of Saint Christopher during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Saint Christopher was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Saint Christopher (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Saint Christopher. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Name Variations for Saint Christopher ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Our sources include documents like maps, railroad schedules, Travel, Express and Shipping Guides. Many of these documents date from the 1800's and it's common to find spelling differences.
Although we can't give a definitive list, hopefully the following will give you a feel for the variations that might have occurred.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Saint Christopher: St. Christopher
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we start with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Saint Christopher:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Saint Christopher ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Saint Christopher.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Saint Christopher covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Yelverton Cemetery
- Janetville Presbyterian Cemetery
- Janetville United Cemetery
- Cartwright Union Cemetery
- Bethel (Old Methodist) Cemetery
- Devitt's Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Devitt's Family Cemetery
- Devitt's Family Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Saint Christopher.
- Devitt's Family Cemetery has also been known as:
- Devitt's Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Devitt's Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2349213<2>
- Continue List ...
- Ballyduff Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Ballyduff Cemetery
- Ballyduff Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southeast of Saint Christopher.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Ballyduff Cemetery
- Christian Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Christian Cemetery
- Christian Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the northwest of Saint Christopher.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Christian Cemetery
- Little Britain United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Little Britain United Church Cemetery
- Little Britain United Church Cemetery lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<3> to the northwest of Saint Christopher.
- Little Britain United Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Little Britain Christian Cemetery
- Little Britain Christian / Little Britain United Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Little Britain United Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2160327<2>
- United Church Cemetery
- Pontypool Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pontypool Cemetery
- Pontypool Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<3> to the southeast of Saint Christopher.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pontypool Cemetery
- Pinegrove Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pinegrove Cemetery
- Pinegrove Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<3> to the southwest of Saint Christopher.
- Pinegrove Cemetery has also been known as:
- Pine Grove Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pinegrove Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2129147<2>
- Riverside Cemetery
- Enniskillen Presbyterian Cemetery
- Trinity Anglican Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Saint Christopher. See our List of 1890's Communities around Saint Christopher.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Communities in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Saint Christopher and then turned west". While Saint Christopher could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Saint Christopher as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Saint Christopher could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Saint Christopher.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Saint Christopher) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Saint Christopher. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Saint Christopher
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Saint Christopher. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.1831, Longitude: -78.7825