Welcome to Picton ...
While we don't have a date for the establishment of Picton, you might get a feel for its founding by knowing that they incorporated in 1837.
The origin (or the toponymy) of Picton: Named for General Sir Thomas Picton, Wellington's second-in-command at the Battle of Waterloo.
In the past, Picton was named Hallowell Bridge
Time Zone: Picton lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Telephone area codes for Picton: (613) & (343)<1>
The Canadian Postal Code for Picton: K0K<2>
Communities Also Named Picton ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 2 communities that are also named Picton - they are located in New Jersey and North Dakota.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Picton.
Communities near Picton ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Picton.
- Prince Edward
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Prince Edward
- Prince Edward lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the west of Picton.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Prince Edward came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Prince Edward
- Greater Napanee
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greater Napanee
- Greater Napanee lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<3> to the northeast of Picton.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Greater Napanee came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greater Napanee
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bethel
- Bethel lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northwest of Picton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bethel
- Cherry Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cherry Valley
- Cherry Valley lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the south of Picton.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Cherry Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cherry Valley
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Cherry Valley<4>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Glenora
- Glenora lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northeast of Picton.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Glenora came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Glenora
- Black Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Black Creek
- Black Creek lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the southeast of Picton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Black Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Woodville
- Woodville lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the northeast of Picton.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Woodville
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Picton ...
Looking for more information about Picton? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Picton, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Picton.
Adding Picton to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
From our reading, the published dated mention that we've found for Picton was on a map titled Road Map for Ontario (from Shell Oil, 1955).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Picton.
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Picton. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||Area code (343) is an overlay for area code (613).|
|<2>||The Canadian Postal Code consists of 6 characters, where the first three characters are the 'Forward Sortation Area (FSA)', with the last three characters being the 'Local Delivery Unit (LDU)'. The Canadian Postal Codes were created as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. So keep in mind that any given Postal Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Picton). The boundaries of the Postal Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other Postal Codes. When looking for a Postal Code, whether Picton or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the Canada Post / Postes Canada.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Picton) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Picton. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from PictonOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Picton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.0088, Longitude: -77.1392 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|