Our Genealogy Helper for Lonsdale ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Lonsdale (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Lonsdale. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Lonsdale:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Lonsdale ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Lonsdale.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Lonsdale covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Holy Name of Mary RC Cemetery
- St. Charles Borromeo Cemetery
- All Saints Anglican Church Cemetery
- Christ Church Anglican Cemetery
- Deseronto Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Deseronto Cemetery
- The Deseronto Cemetery is a large cemetery that is located outside and to the east of Deseronto.To be more precise, Deseronto Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Lonsdale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deseronto Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2329149<1>
- Riverview Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Riverside Cemetery
- Victoria Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Victoria Cemetery
- The Victoria Cemetery is located 8 miles [12.9 km]<2> to the south of Belleville.More accurately, Victoria Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km] to the west of Lonsdale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Victoria Cemetery
- Roblin Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Roblin Family Cemetery
- The Roblin Family Cemetery is located less than 2 miles<2> to the southeast of Roblin Mills.Roblin Family Cemetery lies 10 miles [16.1 km] to the south of Lonsdale.
- Roblin Family Cemetery has also been known as:
- Roblin Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Roblin Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2262249<1>
- Sophiasburgh Cemetery
- Trumpour Cemetery
- Switzerville United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Switzerville United Church Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Switzerville United Church Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Switzerville United Church Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the east of Lonsdale.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Switzerville United Church Cemetery
- Newburgh United Church Cemetery
- Thomasburg Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Thomasburg Cemetery
- Thomasburg Cemetery lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<2> to the northwest of Lonsdale.
- Thomasburg Cemetery has also been known as:
- Thomasburg United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Thomasburg Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2359272<1>
- Adolphustown United Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Adolphustown United Church Cemetery
- Adolphustown United Church Cemetery lies 14 miles [22.5 km]<2> to the southeast of Lonsdale.
- Adolphustown United Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Dorland Cemetery
- Dorland United Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Adolphustown United Church Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Lonsdale. See our List of 1890's Communities around Lonsdale.
Miscellaneous References and Mentions for Lonsdale ...
With our Gazetteer, we add the names of communities whenever we see them mentioned - frequently found in old books or maps. Usually we don't have any details that go with the name, but we'll eventually find documents that will give us a fact here or a snippet there. We've created the following list to keep track of the documents we found useful in adding to our knowledge about Lonsdale.
We hope that the following list of documents will be of interest to you.
The Canada Directory for 1857-1858
Written by: Lovell, John
(Document found on Google Books)
for Lonsdale. See our Misc Page for Lonsdale for more information.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Ontario Community
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lonsdale. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Lonsdale) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lonsdale. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from LonsdaleOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lonsdale. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.2752, Longitude: -77.1266 |
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|