Welcome to Hughes ...
Although we found mention of Hughes during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Hughes was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Hughes to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Hughes, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Hughes might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
Note: If you travel south from Hughes, you will leave Eastern Time and cross into the Central Time Zone (CST/CDT).
We believe that Hughes would be found within the (613) and (343)<2> area codes.
Communities Also Named Hughes ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 23 communities that are also named Hughes - they are located in Alaska, Arkansas (2), California, Georgia (2), Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas (6) and West Virginia.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Hughes.
Communities near Hughes ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Hughes.
- Hickey Settlement
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hickey Settlement
- Hickey Settlement lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<3> to the northeast of Hughes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hickey Settlement came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hickey Settlement
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Maxwell
- Maxwell lies 5 miles [8 km]<3> to the east of Hughes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Maxwell
- Highland Grove
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Highland Grove
- Highland Grove lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the west of Hughes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Highland Grove
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Hybla
- Hybla lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Hughes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Hybla came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hybla
- Monck Road
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Monck Road
- Monck Road lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Hughes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Monck Road
- Scott Settlement
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Scott Settlement
- Scott Settlement lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the north of Hughes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Scott Settlement
- Deer Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Deer Lake
- Deer Lake lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the southwest of Hughes
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Deer Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Graphite
- Graphite lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the northeast of Hughes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Graphite came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Graphite
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Musclow
- Musclow lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the east of Hughes
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Musclow came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<5>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Musclow
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Hughes ...
Looking for more information about Hughes? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Hughes, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Hughes.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Hughes and then turned east". While Hughes could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Hughes as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Hughes could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Area code (343) is an overlay for area code (613).|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Hughes) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Hughes. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from HughesOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Hughes. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.1069, Longitude: -77.9525 |
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|