Our Genealogy Helper for Caledon Village ...
Although we found mention of Caledon Village during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Caledon Village was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Caledon Village (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Caledon Village. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
It's still very early in our research, but as we gather more information it will be added to this page.
Name Variations for Caledon Village ...
When searching records, keep in mind that names and their spelling can change over time. Various errors happen - anything from simple spelling to bad translations, abbreviations or people who just guessed at the name.
For example, a typical abbreviation for Caledon Village: Caledon Vlg. (in Canada, 'Vlge.' is the more common abbreviation.)
If you have information about these names (such as the reason for the change, date of change, the origin of the name), please Contact Us.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These helpful websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Caledon Village:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Caledon Village ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Caledon Village.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Caledon Village covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Caledon United Church Cemetery
- St. Cornelius RC Cemetery
- Alton Wesleyan Methodist
- Blair - Belfountain Cemetery
- Greenlaw / Baker's Cemetery
- Caledon East Public Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- Melville White Church Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Melville White Church Cemetery
- Melville White Church Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the south of Caledon Village.
- Melville White Church Cemetery has also been known as:
- Melville Presbyterian Cemetery
- White Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Melville White Church Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2300178<2>
- Caesar's Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Caesar's Cemetery
- Caesar's Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the east of Caledon Village.
- Caesar's Cemetery has also been known as:
- Caesar's / Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Caesar's Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2628184<2>
- St. James' Anglican Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. James' Anglican Cemetery
- St. James' Anglican Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the east of Caledon Village.
- St. James' Anglican Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. James Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. James' Anglican Cemetery
- Kearns Family Cemetery
- Crawford Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Crawford Methodist Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Crawford Methodist Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<4>
- Crawford Methodist Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the northeast of Caledon Village.
- Crawford Methodist Cemetery has also been known as:
- Crawford Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Crawford Methodist Cemetery
- Kidd Family Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Kidd Family Cemetery
- Kidd Family Cemetery lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<3> to the north of Caledon Village.
- Kidd Family Cemetery has also been known as:
- Kidd Cemetery
- Kidd's Vault
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kidd Family Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2552510<2>
- Erin Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Erin Cemetery
- The Erin Cemetery is located outside and to the southeast of Erin.Erin Cemetery lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<3> to the south of Caledon Village.
- Erin Cemetery has also been known as:
- Erin Union Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Erin Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2174861<2>
- Centreville Primitive Methodist Cemetery
- Forest Lawn Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Caledon Village. See our List of 1890's Communities around Caledon Village.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Caledon Village and then turned west". While Caledon Village could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Caledon Village as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Caledon Village could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
Since confusion between is common, we searched and weren't able to find another Ontario community named Caledon Village.
|<2>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Caledon Village) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Caledon Village. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Caledon Village
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Caledon Village. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.8587, Longitude: -79.9919
|<4>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|