Welcome to Ansonia ...
Although we found mention of Ansonia during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Ansonia was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Ansonia to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Ansonia, please Contact Us.
When the people of Ansonia refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Ansonian<2>
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Ansonia might be (or was) located is in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: EST- Heure Normale de l'Est (HNE), EDT- Heure Avancée de l'Est (HAE).
We believe that Ansonia would be found within the (705) and (249)<3> area codes.
Communities Also Named Ansonia ...
Using our Gazetteer, we found that there are 5 communities that are also named Ansonia - they are located in Connecticut, New York, Ohio, Ontario and Pennsylvania.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Ansonia.
Communities near Ansonia ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Ansonia.
- Bruce Mines
- Hilton Beach
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Cloudslee
- Cloudslee lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<4> to the west of Ansonia.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Cloudslee
- Bruce Station
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bruce Station
- Bruce Station lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the west of Ansonia.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Bruce Station came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bruce Station
- Rydal Bank
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Rydal Bank
- Rydal Bank lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<4> to the northwest of Ansonia.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Rydal Bank came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Rydal Bank
- Livingstone Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Livingstone Creek
- Livingstone Creek lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<4> to the southeast of Ansonia.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Livingstone Creek came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Livingstone Creek
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Livingstone
- Livingstone lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<4> to the southeast of Ansonia.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Livingstone came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Livingstone
- Dunns Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunns Valley
- Dunns Valley lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the north of Ansonia.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dunns Valley came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dunns Valley
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sowerby
- Sowerby lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<4> to the east of Ansonia.
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Sowerby came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<6>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sowerby
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Ansonia. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Ansonia.
We have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Ansonia. See our Newspapers Page for Ansonia.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Ansonia ...
Looking for more information about Ansonia? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Ansonia, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Ansonia.
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Ansonia and then turned east". While Ansonia could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Ansonia as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Ansonia could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Ansonia refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Ansonia may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<3>||Area code (249) is an overlay for area code (705).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Ansonia) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ansonia. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AnsoniaOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ansonia. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.3167, Longitude: -83.6094 |
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||If we found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|