Curious and Interesting Names Near Algoma Mills ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Dean Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dean Lake
- Dean Lake lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the west of Algoma Mills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dean Lake came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Dean Lake
- Elliot Lake
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Fernlee
- Fernlee lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the south of Algoma Mills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Fernlee came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Fernlee
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Heather
- Heather lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<1> to the west of Algoma Mills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Heather came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Heather
- Continue List (5 more) ...
- Iron Bridge
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kenabutch
- Kenabutch lies 16 miles [25.7 km]<1> to the east of Algoma Mills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Kenabutch came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kenabutch
- Serpent River
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Serpent River
- Serpent River lies 15 miles [24.1 km]<1> to the east of Algoma Mills
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Serpent River came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Serpent River
- Silver Water
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Silver Water
- Silver Water lies 22 miles [35.4 km]<1> to the south of Algoma Mills
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Silver Water
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Algoma Mills. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Denny Doherty (Singer, songwriter)
- Singer, songwriter. He was born in Halifax (Nova Scotia) on Friday November 29, 1940 and died in Mississauga (Ontario) on Friday January 19, 2007 at the age of 66. He is buried at Gate of Heaven Cemetery (Halifax County, Nova Scotia).
- Mississauga is located 9 miles [14.5 km] to the west of Algoma Mills.
- Find-A-Grave Memorial: Denny Doherty<4>
How Far From Algoma Mills to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Algoma Mills to various places of note, such as Parliament Hill.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Algoma Mills and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- The National Capital at Parliament Hill (Ottawa, ON) is 346 miles [556.8 km]<1> to the east (E). If you could drive a straight line from Algoma Mills to Parliament Hill, with an average speed<5>of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A comfortable walk of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour would take 20 days. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take 14 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 5,805 miles [9,342.2 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 6,547 miles [10,536.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 4,435 miles [7,137.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Algoma Mills. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Algoma Mills) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Algoma Mills. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Algoma MillsOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Algoma Mills. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 46.1853, Longitude: -82.8171 |
|<2>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Algoma Mills to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 311.04 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 308.126 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 304.623 degrees.||