Our Genealogy Helper for Ajax ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Ajax (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Ajax. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we first visit the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These websites either offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Ajax:
- Websites specific to Ontario
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Ontario
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from New York
- Stories from Ontario
Cemeteries Near Ajax ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Ajax.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Ajax covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Brown Hicksite Friends Cemetery
- Pickering Friends Burial Ground
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pickering Friends Burial Ground
- Pickering Friends Burial Ground has also been known as:
- Friends Cemetery
- Society of Friends Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pickering Friends Burial Ground
- Ley Family / Potters Field Cemetery
- Pickering United Church Cemetery
- Elizabeth Street Pioneer Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Elizabeth Street Pioneer Cemetery
- Elizabeth Street Pioneer Cemetery has also been known as:
- Old Methodist Cemetery
- Pickering Methodist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Elizabeth Street Pioneer Cemetery
- Duffin Meadows Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- St. John's Anglican Cemetery
- St. John the Evangelist RC Cemetery
- Erskine / Dunbarton United Cemetery
- Salem United Cemetery
- Salem United Church Cemetery
- Lamoreaux Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Lamoreaux Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Lamoreaux Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Lamoreaux Cemetery has also been known as:
- L'Amoureau Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Lamoreaux Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2354538<1>
- Hastings Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Hastings Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Hastings Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<2>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Hastings Cemetery
- Mt. Lawn Memorial Gardens
- Resurrection Catholic Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Ajax. See our List of 1890's Communities around Ajax.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community within Ontario
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Ajax: www.townofajax.com/
The official website for Province of Ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<3>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Ajax) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Ajax. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AjaxOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Ajax. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 43.8530, Longitude: -79.0222 |