Welcome to Austin ...
Austin is located in Ross County<1>.
The pronunciation of Austin: AW-stin<2>
When the people of Austin refer to themselves (known as a demonym), they frequently use Austinite<3>
Austin is 750 feet [229 m] above sea level.<4>.
Time Zone: Austin lies in the Eastern Time Zone (EST/EDT) and observes daylight saving time
The telephone area code for Austin: (740)
Communities Also Named Austin ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 42 communities that are also named Austin - they are located in Alabama, Arkansas (3), California, Colorado (2), Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas (2), Kentucky, Manitoba, Michigan (4), Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri (2), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New York (2), North Carolina, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Quebec, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee (2), Texas, Utah, Washington (2) and Wisconsin.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Austin.
Communities near Austin ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Austin.
- Chillicothe [Ross County]
- Washington Court House [Fayette County]
- Circleville [Pickaway County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Circleville
- Circleville [Pickaway County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the northeast of Austin
- Population from the 2020 Census: 14,158 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Circleville have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Circleville
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Circleville<6>
- Washington [Fayette County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Washington
- Washington [Fayette County] lies 13 miles [20.9 km]<5> to the northwest of Austin
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Washington came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<8>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Washington
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Greenfield [Highland County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Greenfield
- Greenfield [Highland County] lies 10 miles [16.1 km]<5> to the southwest of Austin
- Population from the 2020 Census: 4,564 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Greenfield
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Greenfield<6>
- Mount Sterling [Madison County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mount Sterling
- Mount Sterling [Madison County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of Austin
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,783 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mount Sterling have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mount Sterling
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Mount Sterling<6>
- Leesburg [Highland County]
- Williamsport [Pickaway County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Williamsport
- Williamsport [Pickaway County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<5> to the northeast of Austin
- Population from the 2020 Census: 1,085 people
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Williamsport have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Williamsport
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Williamsport<6>
- Kingston [Ross County]
- Frankfort [Ross County]
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Austin. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Austin.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Austin. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Austin.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Austin. See our Newspapers Page for Austin.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Austin ...
Looking for more information about Austin? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
While we are unaware of a Tourism page that is specific to Austin, there are neighboring communities that do have Tourism pages. A map of those communities can be found with our TripAdvisor Page for Austin.
Adding Austin to Our Gazetteer ...
We originally found mention of Austin in both the FIPS-55 and the GNIS. For more information, see the FIPS and GNIS Codes sections on our Miscellaneous Page.
In addition, our notes show that the earliest dated mention that we've found for Austin was in the Business Atlas and Shippers' Guide (1895).
We also found Austin on a map titled George#&160;F. Cram Map (1901).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Austin on our Genealogy Page.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Cities, Towns and Villages of Ohio
About Ross County
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Austin. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Ross County: www.co.ross.oh.us/
The official website for State of Ohio: https://ohio.gov/
|<1>||If you're interested in how the shape of Ohio's counties, including Ross, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<2>||The pronunciation we've provided is our attempt to give a phonetic pronunciation for Austin. While it might not be exactly right, hopefully it will be close. If we have it wrong or there's a better way to pronounce the name, please contact us through our Feedback Page.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Austin refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Austin may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Austin - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Austin) to Point B.If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Austin. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from AustinOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Austin. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.4368, Longitude: -83.2223 |
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<8>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|