Welcome to Luning ...
Although we found mention of Luning during our research, we have little information about it.<1> Given the context of how Luning was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it's a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Luning to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Luning, please Contact Us.
Luning is 4,490 feet [1,369 m] above sea level.<2> In other words, the elevation of Luning is about ¾ mile [or ~1¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Luning might be (or was) located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
We believe that Luning would be found within the (775) area code.
The ZIP code for Luning: 89420<3>
Communities Also Named Luning ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are two Nevada communities named Luning: This one is located in Mineral County and the other is located in Esmeralda County.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Luning.
Communities near Luning ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Luning.
- Mina [Mineral County]
- Camp Douglas [Mineral County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Camp Douglas have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Camp Douglas
- Camp Douglas [Mineral County] was located 11 miles [17.7 km]<4> to the south of Luning
- Tonopah Junction [Mineral County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Tonopah Junction
- Tonopah Junction [Mineral County] was located 16 miles [25.7 km]<4> to the south of Luning
- Simon [Mineral County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Simon
- Simon [Mineral County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<4> to the east of Luning
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Marietta [Mineral County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Marietta
- Marietta [Mineral County] was located 20 miles [32.2 km]<4> to the southwest of Luning
- Candelaria Junction [Mineral County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Candelaria Junction have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Candelaria Junction
- Candelaria Junction [Mineral County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<4> to the south of Luning
- Goldyke [Nye County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Goldyke
- Goldyke [Nye County] was located 23 miles [37 km]<4> to the northeast of Luning
- Candelaria [Mineral County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Candelaria
- Candelaria [Mineral County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the south of Luning
- Hawthorne [Mineral County]
- Metallic City [Mineral County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Metallic City have been provided by the GNIS.<6> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Metallic City
- Metallic City [Mineral County] was located 24 miles [38.6 km]<4> to the south of Luning
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Luning. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Luning.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Luning. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Luning.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Luning. See our Newspapers Page for Luning.
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Luning ...
Looking for more information about Luning? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Luning, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Luning.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Nevada
About Mineral County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went south past Luning and then turned west". While Luning could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Luning as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Mile's to see Pete ... Mile's is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Luning could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Luning - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<3>||ZIP Codes have been created by the United States Postal Service (USPS) as a way of grouping addresses to make delivery more efficient. The boundaries of the ZIP Code can be changed, re-assigned, eliminated or overlapped with other ZIP Codes. So keep in mind that any given ZIP Code is only 'loosely' associated with a community (such as Luning). When looking for a ZIP Code, whether Luning or elsewhere, it's always best to check the website of the United States Postal Service (USPS).|
|<4>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Luning) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Luning. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Luning
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Luning. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.5054, Longitude: -118.1786
|<5>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<6>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|