Welcome to Aurora ...
So far, we have found very little information about Aurora. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added Aurora to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Aurora, please Contact Us.
Aurora would have been located within present day Mineral County<2>.
When the people of Aurora referred to themselves (known as a demonym), they are believed to have used Auroran<3>
Aurora was founded in 1860.
While the community is gone, the present day location for Aurora is 7,440 feet [2,268 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of Aurora is about 1½ mile [or ~2¼ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where Aurora was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
Aurora would have been located in the (775) area code.
Communities Also Named Aurora ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 44 communities that are also named Aurora - they are located in Alabama, Alaska (2), Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida (2), Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa (2), Kansas (7), Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota (2), Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico (3), New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas (2), Utah, West Virginia, Wisconsin (2) and Wyoming.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Aurora.
Communities near Aurora ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Aurora.
- Bodie [Mono County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Bodie
- Bodie [Mono County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Aurora
- Chinatown [Mono County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chinatown
- Chinatown [Mono County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southwest of Aurora
- Masonic [Mono County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Masonic. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Masonic
- Masonic [Mono County] was located 12 miles [19.3 km]<5> to the northwest of Aurora
- Chemung Mine [Mono County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Chemung Mine. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<6>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Chemung Mine
- Chemung Mine [Mono County] was located 14 miles [22.5 km]<5> to the west of Aurora
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Bridgeport [Mono County]
- Dog Town [Mono County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dog Town have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dog Town
- Dog Town [Mono County] was located 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Aurora
- Willow Springs [Mono County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Willow Springs
- Willow Springs [Mono County] lies 17 miles [27.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Aurora
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Willow Springs
- Belfort [Mono County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Belfort
- Belfort [Mono County] was located 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the northwest of Aurora
- Mono City [Mono County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mono City
- Mono City [Mono County] lies 21 miles [33.8 km]<5> to the southwest of Aurora
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mono City
- Dunderberg Mill [Mono County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Dunderberg Mill have been provided by the GNIS.<8> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Dunderberg Mill
- Dunderberg Mill [Mono County] was located 22 miles [35.4 km]<5> to the southwest of Aurora
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around Aurora. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for Aurora.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of Aurora. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around Aurora.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around Aurora. Our list includes 4 papers. See our Newspapers Page for Aurora.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Find a Community in Nevada
About Mineral County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about Aurora, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Nevada's counties, including Mineral, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||A demonym is the name for a resident of a community which is usually derived from (or is related to) the name of that community. In other words, it's how the residents of Aurora refer to themselves. It's important to note that there aren't any rules for taking a community's name and turning it into a demonym. A demonym is informal and while the majority of Aurora may use one name, keep in mind that others may use something different.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around Aurora - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Aurora) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Aurora. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Aurora
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Aurora. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 38.2867, Longitude: -118.9009
|<6>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<7>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<8>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|