Welcome to American Flat ...
So far, we have found very little information about American Flat. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added American Flat to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with American Flat, please Contact Us.
American Flat would have been located within present day Storey County<2>.
We aren't confident of the location of American Flat, so consider the above location as an estimate.<3>
A typical abbreviation for American Flat: American Flt.
While the community is gone, the present day location for American Flat is 5,400 feet [1,646 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the elevation of American Flat is about 1 mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where American Flat was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
American Flat would have been located in the (775) area code.
Communities near American Flat ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near American Flat.
- Reno [Washoe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reno
- Reno [Washoe County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of American Flat
- Population from the 2020 Census: 259,290 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reno
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Reno<6>
- Sparks [Washoe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sparks
- Sparks [Washoe County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of American Flat
- Population from the 2020 Census: 106,900 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sparks
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sparks<6>
- Carson City [Carson City]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carson City
- Carson City [Carson City] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of American Flat
- Population from the 2020 Census: 56,034 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carson City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Carson City<6>
- Dayton [Lyon County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Flowery City [Storey County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flowery City
- Flowery City [Storey County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northeast of American Flat
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flowery City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Sutro [Lyon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sutro
- Sutro [Lyon County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the east of American Flat
- Eureka [Lyon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eureka
- Eureka [Lyon County] was located 5 miles [8 km]<5> to the south of American Flat
- Carson Rapids City [Lyon County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carson Rapids City
- Carson Rapids City [Lyon County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the northeast of American Flat
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carson Rapids City have been provided by the GNIS.<7> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carson Rapids City
- New Washoe City [Washoe County]
- Lousetown [Storey County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lousetown
- Lousetown [Storey County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the north of American Flat
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Lousetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around American Flat. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for American Flat.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of American Flat. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around American Flat.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around American Flat. See our Newspapers Page for American Flat.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Visit our Community Index for Nevada
About Storey County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about American Flat, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Nevada's counties, including Storey, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around American Flat - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- American Flat) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for American Flat. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from American FlatOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in American Flat. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.2704, Longitude: -119.6632 In this case, the coordinates for American Flat have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|