Welcome to American City ...
So far, we have found very little information about American City. The little that we've found leads us believe that the community is historic.<1>
We've added American City to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with American City, please Contact Us.
American City would have been located within present day Storey County<2>.
The location of American City has been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (ie- the GNIS).<3>
American City was founded in 1859.
While the community is gone, the present day location for American City is 5,380 feet [1,640 m] above sea level.<4> In other words, the altitude of American City is 1 mile [or ~1¾ km] above sea level.
Time Zone: The area where American City was located is in the Pacific Time Zone (PST/PDT) and observes daylight saving time
American City would have been located in the (775) area code.
Communities Also Named American City ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found another community named American City - it's located in Colorado.
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for American City.
Communities near American City ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near American City.
- Reno [Washoe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Reno
- Reno [Washoe County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the northwest of American City
- Estimated population in 2019: 255,601 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Reno
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Reno<6>
- Sparks [Washoe County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Sparks
- Sparks [Washoe County] lies 19 miles [30.6 km]<5> to the north of American City
- Estimated population in 2019: 105,006 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sparks
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Sparks<6>
- Carson City [Carson City]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carson City
- Carson City [Carson City] lies 8 miles [12.9 km]<5> to the southwest of American City
- Estimated population in 2019: 55,916 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carson City
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Carson City<6>
- Dayton [Lyon County]
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- Eureka [Lyon County] - Historic
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Eureka
- Eureka [Lyon County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the south of American City
- Flowery City [Storey County] - Historic
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Flowery City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Flowery City
- Flowery City [Storey County] was located 4 miles [6.4 km]<5> to the northeast of American City
- Carson Rapids City [Lyon County]
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Carson Rapids City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Carson Rapids City
- Carson Rapids City [Lyon County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<5> to the northeast of American City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Carson Rapids City
- New Washoe City [Washoe County]
- Lousetown [Storey County] - Historic
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for Lousetown. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<7>
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Lousetown
- Lousetown [Storey County] was located 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the north of American City
- New Empire [Carson City]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Empire
- New Empire [Carson City] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<5> to the southwest of American City
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Empire
To Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
We have a couple of sections for those tracing their genealogy.
We created a list of cemeteries that are in the area around American City. Our list includes the location of those cemeteries and we provide an overhead view. See our Cemetery List for American City.
Using the information from an 1895 Atlas, we've created a list of communities that were in the area of American City. Our list includes information such as whether the 1895 community had a post office or railroad service. See our List of 1890's Communities around American City.
We also have a detailed list of newspapers that have been published in the area around American City. See our Newspapers Page for American City.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community located in Nevada
About Storey County
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for State of Nevada: nv.gov/
|<1>||We use the term 'Historic' broadly and it generally means that the community no longer exists. However, it can also mean that the community might still exist, but was significantly larger or had a more 'official' existence in the past than it does now. Unfortunately our sources of data have proven to be unreliable. If you can provide us with more specific information about American City, please let us know so that we can improve our accuracy.|
|<2>||If you're interested in how the shape of Nevada's counties, including Storey, have changed over time, we recommend the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries.|
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||The elevation is an estimate for the area around American City - it will be higher in some places and lower in others.|
|<5>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- American City) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for American City. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from American City
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in American City. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 39.2699, Longitude: -119.6613 In this case, the coordinates for American City have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).
|<6>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<7>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|