Welcome to Southampton ...
Although we found mention of Southampton during our research, we really don't have any information about it.<1> Given the context of how Southampton was mentioned, we believe that it was a community rather than a locale or some type of landmark. We have done a cursory search and if it was a community, we haven't been able to find any evidence that it still exists..
We've added Southampton to our Gazetteer with the hope that we can develop more information. If you can help us with Southampton, please Contact Us.
Time Zone: The area where we believe that Southampton might be (or was) located is in the Atlantic Time Zone (AST/ADT) and observes daylight saving time. The time zone in French: AST- Heure Normale de l'Atlantique (HNA), ADT- Heure Avancée de l'Atlantique (HAA).
We believe that Southampton would be found within the (902) area code.
Adding Southampton to Our Gazetteer ...
As we work on our Gazetteer, we occasionally find mention of a community that is new to us. When we find such a community, we add it to our Gazetteer with the hope of adding more information in the future.
That's the case with Southampton: The earliest map where we found it was on a Rand McNally Map of the Maritime Provinces of Canada (1897).
For more details about the above, see References and Mentions for Southampton on our Genealogy Page.
Communities Also Named Southampton ...
Using our Gazetteer, we have found that there are 17 communities that are also named Southampton - they are located in Maryland (2), Massachusetts, New Brunswick, New Jersey, New York, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Pennsylvania (3), Prince Edward Island, Utah and Virginia (4).
For more information, see our Tidbits & Trivia Page for Southampton.
Communities near Southampton ...
We have created a list of 10 communities that are near Southampton.
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Mapleton
- Mapleton lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the east of Southampton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Mapleton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Mapleton
- Continue List (6 more) ...
- New Canaan
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for New Canaan
- New Canaan lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the south of Southampton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for New Canaan came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on New Canaan
- South Athol
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for South Athol
- South Athol lies 4 miles [6.4 km]<2> to the north of Southampton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for South Athol came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on South Athol
- Gilbert Mountain
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Gilbert Mountain
- Gilbert Mountain lies 5 miles [8 km]<2> to the south of Southampton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Gilbert Mountain came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Gilbert Mountain
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Athol
- Athol lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the north of Southampton
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Athol
- East Mapleton
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for East Mapleton
- East Mapleton lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the east of Southampton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for East Mapleton came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on East Mapleton
- Pettigrew Settlement
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Pettigrew Settlement
- Pettigrew Settlement lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<2> to the southwest of Southampton
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Pettigrew Settlement came from an uncertain source and they still need to be verified:<4>
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pettigrew Settlement
TripAdvisor Tourism Pages for Southampton ...
Looking for more information about Southampton? A wonderful source is the TripAdvisor website. We always start with the TripAdvisor Tourism page, where you can read an overview with links that will help you find lodging, restaurants and attractions.
In addition to the Tourism page for Southampton, there are neighboring communities that also have Tourism pages. More information about those communities can be found on our TripAdvisor Page for Southampton.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Nova Scotia Community
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer. For example, we might find a sentence like "He went north past Southampton and then turned east". While Southampton could be some kind of landmark, we think that it's more likely to be a community. We've added Southampton as a placeholder with the hope that we'll be able to add more information in the future.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Miller Creek to see Pete ... Miller Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Southampton could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong . Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line drawn from Point A (ie- Southampton) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Southampton. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Southampton
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Southampton. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 45.5889, Longitude: -64.2453
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||If we have found a location and have questions about the accuracy of our information, we will simply say that the marker is 'in the vicinity'. We are not confident about the location and the position of our marker is only a rough guide. If we have too many doubts about the location, we will not include it in our database.|