Our Genealogy Helper for Chester ...
We have a couple of goals for our Gazetteer:
- That it be a tool that can help us with planning our trips.
- That it also helps us to understand the community in which our ancestors lived, the community that was part of their daily lives.
By learning about Chester (and the surrounding area) during the time that our ancestors lived, we hope to have a better understanding of both their community and its relationship to their lifes. We hope that this tool helps to give us an insight into their world.
As we add data and organize our Gazetteer to help with our family research, we will be adding to this, our Genealogical Helper for Chester. While we don't have information that is specific to any given person or family, we intend to expand our understanding about where and how people lived.
Websites to Help With Your Genealogy Research ...
When we do our genealogical research, we begin with the websites from Cyndi's List, FamilySearch and Genealogy Trails. These professional and volunteer websites offer the information directly or else point to where you can find it. Their information is open to everyone.
To help you get started, the following links will take you to the pages that are relevant to Chester:
- Websites specific to Nova Scotia
- Cemetery Information and Directories for Nova Scotia
- Of Special Interest ...
- The GenDisasters website specializes in newspaper articles about tragedies and disasters. While it makes interesting reading all by itself, it should be of special interest to genealogists and family historians looking for people who were either affected by or directly involved in such tragedies.
- Stories from Nova Scotia
Cemeteries Near Chester ...
Below are cemeteries that are in the vicinity of Chester.
This is a new section and is likely to have errors. If you find an error, such as a missing cemetery or we have the wrong name, please let us know. If you know of them, we would also appreciate learning about previous or alternate names.
If you need information about a burial or interment, photos, transcripts, how to contact the cemetery or local authorities, please visit our selection of Genealogy Websites (see below).
If not found below, our Cemetery List for Chester covers a larger area, with the cemeteries listed in alphabetical order.
- Pine Hill Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Pine Hill Cemetery
- Pine Hill Cemetery has also been known as:
- New Baptist Cemetery
- Pine Hill / United Baptist Cemetery
- United Baptist Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Pine Hill Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2309237<1>
- Western Shore Cemetery
- St. Martin's Anglican Cemetery
- St. Barnabas Anglican Cemetery
- Bayview Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Bayview Cemetery
- The Bayview Cemetery is located outside and to the north of Mahone Bay.To be precise, Bayview Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the southwest of Chester.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Bayview Cemetery
- Old St. James Cemetery
- Continue List ...
- St. James Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the St. James Cemetery
- St. James Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Chester.
- St. James Cemetery has also been known as:
- St. James Anglican Church Cemetery
- Jump to Google Maps centered on St. James Cemetery
- Find-A-Grave: FAG ID #2301927<1>
- Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery
- Sims Settlement Cemetery
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for the Sims Settlement Cemetery
- Note: We haven't been able to verify our GPS coordinates for the Sims Settlement Cemetery. Although the coordinates have been estimated, they should be in the vicinity.<3>
- Sims Settlement Cemetery lies 9 miles [14.5 km]<2> to the northeast of Chester.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Sims Settlement Cemetery
- Blockhouse Cemetery
- Garden of Rest Cemetery
- Hillcrest Cemetery
- Heckman's Island Cemetery
- Christ Church Anglican Cemetery
- First South Cemetery
We've also created an expanded list of communities that existed in the 1890's and were located in the area around Chester. See our List of 1890's Communities around Chester.
Other Roadside Stops ...
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for Nova Scotia
About Nova Scotia
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Chester. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Province of Nova Scotia: https://novascotia.ca
|<1>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Chester) to Point B.|
If you need the driving distance, we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Chester. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Chester
Our distance measurements begin at a specific point in Chester. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 44.5415, Longitude: -64.2426
|<3>||An 'estimated' location is one where we have been given GPS coordinates, but are unable to verify the accuracy of those coordinates. That said, we have some confidence that we have placed the marker near the actual location. A typical reason for being unable to verify a location is that it might be on private property or maybe historic and gone without an obvious trace.|