Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Maypens, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Maypens and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Maypens:
- 32.360225, -103.152634
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Maypens
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Communities Also Named Maypens ...
We have found one communities that share the name Maypens.
There is one other community in New Mexico which is also named Maypens.
Beyond New Mexico.
- Communities Located In New Mexico ...
- Otero County
- We found mention of this community, but have little information.<1> For the information that we do have, please visit our profile page for the New Mexico community of Maypens [Otero County].
Curious and Interesting Names Near Maypens ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Coyote Corner [Andrews County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Coyote Corner
- Coyote Corner [Andrews County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the southeast of Maypens
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Coyote Corner have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Coyote Corner
- Hobbs [Lea County]
- Humble City [Lea County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Humble City
- Humble City [Lea County] lies 30 miles [48.3 km]<2> to the north of Maypens
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Humble City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Humble City
- Jones City [Lea County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Jones City
- Jones City [Lea County] lies 7 miles [11.3 km]<2> to the north of Maypens
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Jones City have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Jones City
- Continue List (4 more) ...
- Kermit [Winkler County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Kermit
- Kermit [Winkler County] lies 34 miles [54.7 km]<2> to the south of Maypens
- Population from the 2020 Census: 6,367 people
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Kermit
- Jump to TripAdvisor's Tourism page for Kermit<4>
- Monument [Lea County]
- Nadine [Lea County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Nadine
- Nadine [Lea County] lies 18 miles [29 km]<2> to the north of Maypens
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Nadine have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Nadine
- Oil Center [Lea County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Oil Center
- Oil Center [Lea County] lies 11 miles [17.7 km]<2> to the northwest of Maypens
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Oil Center have been provided by the GNIS.<3> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Oil Center
How Far From Maypens to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers, Almanacs & Directories that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Maypens to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Maypens and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Lovington, which is the Seat of Lea County and lies 42 miles [67.6 km]<2> to the north northwest. If you could walk a straight line from Maypens to Lovington, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take about three full days to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take just about two full days.
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 279 miles [449 km] to the northwest (NW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take four to five hours, a buggy would take 11 days and walking would take 16 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,527 miles [2,457.5 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 60 days and walking would take 87 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,234 miles [11,642 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,983 miles [12,847.4 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,874 miles [9,453.3 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Search for a Community in New Mexico
About Lea County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Maypens. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for Lea County: www.leacounty.net/
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||If we encounter the name of what might be a community, our methodology is to add that name to our Gazetteer as a placeholder. As we find more information about that community, it will be added to our Gazetteer.|
Just as a reminder: Our definition of a community is rather broad and includes those places (or areas) where several families lived and had a name which identified that place. For example, you might hear somebody say that they are going over to Bird Creek to see Pete ... Bird Creek is just a gas station and a couple of homes at the crossroads. While it might not be on the map, everybody in the area knows it by that name.
Places of interest include buildings at a crossroad, several families clustered in a hollow or maybe the location of a way station. It also includes places like mines, lumber camps, ferry crossings, etc. The community might still exist, is now gone or only existed for just a short period of time.
Also keep in mind that Maypens could have been on the original document by mistake, misspelled, the original/alternate name of a community that we've listed elsewhere or was placed in the wrong county. Sometimes a post office or train station would have a different name than the community where it's located, so two names might be referring to the same community - we're working to straighten it all out.
|<2>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'straight-line' (or point-to-point) distance. A straight line distance ignores things like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Maypens) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Maypens. Since we usually use Google Maps, we've provided the following link: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from MaypensOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Maypens. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 32.3602, Longitude: -103.1526 |
|<3>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<4>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Maypens to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 324.279 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 321.566 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 317.649 degrees.||