Outdoor Activities ...
As we travel, we like to pursue some of our interests (such as astronomy and bird watching).
When in Lake Sumner, we use the following websites to find information relevant to Lake Sumner and the surrounding area.
- Astronomy & Satellites ...
- Whether using binoculars, a small telescope or the naked-eye, the Heavens-Above
website can help you to find your way around the night-time sky. In addition to detailed
sky charts, their website will help you find planets, asteriods, comets, satellites and their tracks across the sky.
- To give accurate results, Heavens-Above requires the latitude and longitude of your location. As a starting point, when we link to Heavens-Above,
we pass this GPS location for Lake Sumner:
- 34.622842, -104.376647
- Once you're on the Heavens-Above website, you can improve its accuracy by giving a more precise longitude and latitude as your actual position.
- The Heavens-Above Website, centered on Lake Sumner
- Waymarking ...
- Looking for somewhere out of the ordinary? Find a unique place and want to share it with others? Then it's time to visit Waymarking.com:
Curious and Interesting Names Near Lake Sumner ...
As we travel, we always see a community with a name that gives pause. While there are names which are interesting or familiar, some catch our attention or strike our fancy. We always wonder about such a name. If time permits and the community is not too far, we'll usually try to make a side-trip.
- Guadalupe [DeBaca County]
- Jump to our Gazetteer entry for Guadalupe
- Guadalupe [DeBaca County] lies 6 miles [9.7 km]<1> to the southwest of Lake Sumner
- Note: The GPS coordinates that we are using for Guadalupe have been provided by the GNIS.<2> The coordinates still need to be verified.
- Jump to Google Maps centered on Guadalupe
- House [Quay County]
Notable Births & Deaths ...
This is a new section for us and we are still collecting data.
Below is our list of notable people who were born, died or were buried in the area surrounding Lake Sumner. Please note that while we are collecting data on an ongoing basis, it's a big task and it's unlikely that our list will ever be more than a sample.
- View Our List ...
- Jesse Lawrence 'Nubby' Barnes (Major League Baseball)
How Far From Lake Sumner to ...
We spend a lot of time looking through Gazetteers & Almanacs that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the Gazetteers include the distance from a community such as Lake Sumner to various places of note, such as the White House.
With a nod to our favorite Gazetteers, the straight-line distance beginning in Lake Sumner and extending to:
- View Our List ...
- Fort Sumner, which is the Seat of DeBaca County and lies 12 miles [19.3 km]<1> to the southeast. If you could walk a straight line from Lake Sumner to Fort Sumner, with an average speed<5> of 2.2 miles [3.5 km] per hour, it would take five to six hours to make the trip. A horse and buggy averaging 3.2 miles [5.1 km] per hour would take nearly four hours.
- Santa Fe, which is the State Capital of New Mexico, lies 115 miles [185.1 km] to the northwest (NW). Driving, with an average speed of 63 miles [101.4 km] per hour, would take about two hours, a buggy would take 5 days and walking would take 7 days.
- The White House (Washington, DC) is 1,534 miles [2,468.7 km] to the east northeast (ENE). Driving would take most of three days, a buggy would take 60 days and walking would take 88 days.
- The shortest distance<6> to Jerusalem (specifically the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock) is 7,147 miles [11,502 km] and it lies to the north northeast (NNE).<7>
- The distance to the Great Mosque of Mecca (specifically the Ka'bah - or Kaaba ) is 7,902 miles [12,717 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<8>
- The distance to Saint Peter's Basilica (The Vatican) is 5,806 miles [9,343.9 km] and it lies to the northeast (NE).<9>
Other Roadside Stops ...
Mentions & References for Lake Sumner
Index of Cities, Towns and Villages for New Mexico
About DeBaca County
About New Mexico
Off-the-Road Links ...
Unfortunately, we don't know of a website for Lake Sumner. If you can help, please contact us through our Feedback Page.
The official website for State of New Mexico: www.newmexico.gov/
|<1>||Our distances are not driving distances, but are calculated as a 'point-to-point' distance. A straight line distance ignores obstructions like rivers, canyons, lakes, et cetera - it's truly a line from Point A (ie- Lake Sumner) to Point B.If you need the driving distance (or directions), we recommend that you use one of the Mapping Services listed on our Map Page for Lake Sumner. Since we usually use Google Maps for our own planning, we've provided the following link for your convenience: Google Map and Driving Directions starting from Lake SumnerOur distance measurements begin at a specific point in Lake Sumner. The point we use is located at these GPS coordinates - Latitude: 34.6228, Longitude: -104.3766 In this case, the coordinates for Lake Sumner have been provided by the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS).|
|<2>||The location has been supplied by the Geographic Names Information System - which is maintained by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). While these values should be definitive, we have found that accuracy can vary and you should double-check the location if accuracy is required.|
|<3>||While we're fans and frequent users of TripAdvisor, you should know that we're also members of the TripAdvisor affiliate program.|
|<4>||The Find-a-Grave website is an excellent research tool with information about a cemetery's location and interments. They also offer a forum for their members which can provide additional help. More information about Find-a-Grave can be found on their website: findagrave.com.|
|<5>||While we have tried to pick reasonable speeds, the rate of travel is very theoretical - obstacles like fences, hills, lakes, river crossings and rest stops have been ignored. When we say 'Days' of travel, we're assuming 8 hours of travel per day.|
|<6>||The shortest line can be visualized by stretching a string on a Globe from Point A to Point B - this is known as a Great Circle Route. Where you might expect the shortest route from Lake Sumner to the Middle East to be East and South, the Great Circle Route actually lies to the North and East.|
|<7>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Jerusalem is 325.493 degrees.|
|<8>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to Mecca is 323.264 degrees.|
|<9>||The calculated bearing (or angle) to the Vatican is 318.109 degrees.||